Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Mommy Wars Arrive on my Home Turff

If you're not familiar with the term "mommy wars", in a nutshell, its basically where mom's (and sometimes women with no children) will attack another mom for her parenting choices, usually done via blogs, social networking sites, things like that. I find this different from simply offering friendly advice, which the mom should be able to consider and either use, or disregard, to being a "my way or the highway" approach.

I've seen this on many of the blogs I read. I remember one woman posted a picture of her 2 kids playing, one a toddler and one about a year old. They were both just in diapers, which is a common thing around our house, so I didn't think anything of it, other than it was a cute picture of some cute kids. But as I skimmed the comments, there were several people who complained that it was degrading to the children, that it was inappropriate, that her children would hate their mother in the future because she had posted that photo on the internet. 

This really shocked me, and annoyed me. I mean, I'm the mom who let her daughter swim naked in a river in Zions National Park once. My daughter spends half her day in just a diaper. Were there people out there that really had a beef with this woman? 

Then last week, another blogger I follow posted a photo on instagram of one of her children on a bike, and the kid didn't have a helmet on. The bike was stationary, and the dad was clipping the baby into the carrier on the bike, so it may have been moments before a helmet was even placed on her head. But people began attacking her left and right for being careless and how a good mom would have been concerned about her daughter's safety. I felt so bad knowing that the woman would have to read through over 100 comments, the majority of which were attacking her.

Now, I've had my share of a few concerned moms (and non-moms) let me know what I'm doing wrong as a parent. Usually, it's while I'm at the store or something ("you know you're daughter isn't wearing shoes right?") and I've had a few people send me e-mails or texts to notify me of my short comings. Heck, I've even had anonymous messages left for me from people in my own ward complaining about the way I taught their kids in nursery before. 

Usually, I get a little mad, a little defensive, but I can come out of it with no emotional scrapes or bruises.

But these last couple of weeks have been rough. Like, really, really rough. I have had several people privately message me on facebook, berating me on everything from what I let Savannah eat: "I saw that you posted today that you let Savannah eat a cookie. Do you KNOW how bad sugar is for kids?! She is at high risk for becoming obese if you let her eat junk at such a young age!" 

To my decision to have a doctor-assisted hospital birth: "Doctors are crooks! You are not in their best interest. Plus your doctor is MALE which is perverted and gross! You should really do an at-home birth with a midwife, it's much safer..."

And then all hell broke loose Monday night.

I had the option to be induced this past Monday. I declined, because I wanted to give this baby until his due date to arrive at the very least. But I began feeling so drained. My body hurts. My ENTIRE body hurts. I can't take care of Savannah as well as I should be able to because I can't do anything. Just walking down the stairs to do laundry is torture. Poor Savannah hasn't been to the park in weeks because I'm just too exhausted and sore to chase her around. I can barely sit on the front porch and blow bubbles with her. It's not fair to her at all.  So I did a LOT of research, I talked to lots of people, I discussed it with my doctor, and came to the conclusion that I want to be induced this coming Monday, 2 days after his due date. I posted on Facebook how I was excited because that meant I would only have to be pregnant for one more week at the most. 

Initially, I got a lot of support on this. People e-mailed or texted me to tell me what good experiences they had being induced, how they were excited for me, things like that.

But the next morning, my in-box began flooding with people who were going to tell me exactly why I was being a terrible person for wanting to be induced. "It's unnatural" "you're forcing your body to do something it doesn't want to do" "your labor will take too long".

Thankfully, these people at least had the decency to attack me privately, rather than right on my facebook post for all to see, because it was kind of humiliating. I was really shocked. Most of these people weren't even people I knew that well. They were people who had friended me on facebook, who had known me vaguely in high school or something like that. And suddenly, I felt defeated. I tried to defend myself. I tried to let them know that I was not selfishly doing this. I was doing this for my well being, but also for my daughter, who needs me just as much as this baby does. But I got the same response from ALL of them: "I'm just giving you options, you obviously haven't thought this through..."

WHAAAA?

Do these people really think that I'd make such a big decision without researching ALL the facts first? I don't even go to a movie without finding out everything I can about it first. I just spent the last 3 days coveting a 12 dollar shirt online and trying to decide if it was something I really wanted to buy. 3 DAYS PEOPLE! (I ended up buying it, and it's super cute, just FYI...) so I definitely wasn't going to be induced without feeling well informed about it.

But I just couldn't convince these people that I was doing what I felt was best for me, my husband, and my kids. All day yesterday, I felt sad, and like I really was a terrible mom. I was second guessing myself. I was trying to decide if I should cancel my induction, just so that people would stop being so mean. I decided that I needed to go for a walk. Every evening, Bryant, Savannah and I all go for a walk as far as my body can handle. But I decided to go out on my own last night. I just wanted to put on my headphones and listen to "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me". So I did. I didn't think about all the mean messages I had received. I just thought about how pretty the mountains were with low-hanging clouds surrounding them.

On the last street of my walk, it began to downpour. I had brought an umbrella, and I didn't mind it at all. But Bryant had been worried about me and had come to find me. He ran all the way up the street and accompanied me back down. When I got home, I told him I felt better, and he hugged me and told me that he felt I was making a good decision, and that whatever I chose to do, he would support me. Soon after, I had a few contractions, and I began to get excited. So I cleaned up the living room, put together the car seat, and did the dishes... just in case...

But unfortunately, they stopped altogether as soon as I went to bed. 
I woke up this morning at 4am. I was so frustrated. I had hoped that I would go into labor during the night. I wanted more than anything to be able to tell people I didn't have to be induced. Then they wouldn't think I was such a bad person. I couldn't go back to sleep so I got out of bed and in the shower bright and early. Just as Bryant was about to leave for work, he asked if I was ok, and out of nowhere I began crying. I had a total meltdown. I told him I was frustrated, that I was tired, that my body hurts, that I felt attacked and hated by people who only really know me through facebook. 

I asked for a blessing.
I asked him to bless me with comfort and patience and peace.
So he did, and it was beautiful.

I felt better. I felt calmer. Later, my visiting teacher came to visit. She is such an awesome person. She gave me a lesson that I really needed to hear, and we sat and chatted for a very long time. I told her about all the mean things people said to me, and she felt for me, and gave me encouragement. 

I still feel good about my decision. About all my parenting decisions. Yes, I'm a little scared. I don't want to be induced, I would rather have him come on his own this weekend. Or today, today would be nice. But if he isn't here by Sunday night, then I am ok and at peace with being induced. My mom was induced with all of her kids, and we all came just fine and dandy. I trust my doctors. I trust my instinct. And I trust that after lots of prayer and pleading, that this is the right thing to do. 

But I'd still really really like him to come today... you know, if he wants to.

And to all those mom's and non-moms who feel that their opinion is the only one that matters:

(Sorry, I just had to throw Uchtdorf in there. It was too perfect to pass up...)

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having such a bad day! I know we don't know each other super well, but I enjoy reading your blog and I had to comment on this one.

    First of all, the diaper comments made me laugh, and also a little sad. The only reason I don't let the twins run around in diapers more often is because they take them off and then they're butt naked and I don't want to clean THAT mess up. Otherwise, I was so save myself some laundry and let them run around like that more often. Seriously, what is wrong with people that they freak out over something like a baby or toddler wearing only a diaper?

    As for the cookie...I once fed the twins cheetos dipped in jello for dinner. It was the only they'd eat, and I was too tired to force the issue. Some days are just like that, right?

    Now the induction... Just stick with your gut and make whatever decision you feel is best for your family. I'm proud of you for doing that! All the advice and stories in the world can't replace mother's intuition.

    I had been told I would need a c-section with the twins almost my entire pregnancy since at least one of them was breech at every ultrasound. Then on the day I had them they were both head down for the first time in like 20 weeks and I got a choice. I elected for the c-section, and I got lots of raised eyebrows over that one! I still think it was the best choice for me and for my kids, though, even if others thought I was nuts. They both got here safely, and that was the important thing.

    Good luck on Monday! I'll pray that you go into labor on your own, but either way, hurray for almost being done with this pregnancy! Pregnancy is an awesome experience, but dang it's miserable towards the end. I feel for you. Those last few weeks with the twins were excruciating.

    Oh! And as for what you said a while ago about people telling you you look big enough to have twins versus not looking as big as you should be...I had people tell me the same thing all the time, and I was having twins. So funny how someone will say "you're huge" and the next second someone will ask, "Are you sure you're as far along as they say you are? You look small."

    Go enjoy your favorite guilty pleasure and have a good day! You're trying your best, which means you're an awesome mom to both your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindzee! I laughed at the jello and cheetos dinner, we've had a few nights like that for sure! And we've had our share of Savannah taking off her diaper and running down the hall shouting "naked bum!" A few times, so I totally understand haha!

      Delete
  2. And I just realized I wrote an entire novel in your comments section. Sorry! I'm long-winded by nature. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all too well how you feel and i'm so sorry. People did the same thing to me when I was scheduled to be induced a week early but my doc new my situation and those people didn't. You know whats best for you, stick with it! I had someone chew me out for getting an epidural even because it would give my baby autism. Dumb. I wish I could give you a big hug. Stay strong and I can't wait to see your little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are way too quick to judge without knowing people's situations. My mom and I would have both died if my mom had not been induced. And Ugh, I've heard just about everything that epidurals "supposedly" cause. I had several people tell me with Savannah that it would make her too drowsy and lethargic and non-responsive. Then when she was born, she was wide awake for the first 2 hours! She was extremely active for a newborn and very alert. So now my response to people is "and how long did you go to medical school to verify that information?" People can be so weird. I personally think epidurals are God's gift to mothers! I'm impressed with moms who go natural and pain-medication free, because I certainly couldn't do it! I like me some pain killers!

      Delete
  4. People suck. That's one of the reasons I don't post personal family type stuff on my blog generally because I don't want to hear everyone's opinions. I had to be induced with James as he was a week over, and though my water broke with George I was NOT going into labor on my own so they had to induce me through several different methods, including pitocin. I think you're great. I'm always happy to hear about how you're raising your kids because it reassures me that not every mother has a stick up her butt about every "rule" the pediatric association has ever come up with. It's totally fine to let your kids have cookies for dinner now and then, at that age my doctor told me their food/nutrition whatever really averages out over the week so you shouldn't worry about individual days. Don't listen to those naysayers! They're dumb. You're smart, they're wrong, you're right, they're small, you're....big? Wait, that didn't end where I wanted it to. ;) You're doing great. Don't worry about being induced, people do it all the time and everything turns out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiera! Yeah I never worry about giving Savy a treat now and then. It works as a good bargaining tool for me. Like if she's throwing a fit in the grocery store, I can tell her that if she stops, she gets to buy a bag of M&M's when we are done. And even though she asks for candy a lot, if she sees apples or bananas or blueberries laying around, she'd rather have those every single time. And I feel much better about my induction. I keep reminding myself that my Mom was induced with all 4 of us for medical reasons and all of them went smoothly with no complications (and I'm doing mine 2 days late, and my mom had me a month early, and that was 25 years ago!)

      Delete
  5. You know how I feel about this. Amen sister! With all my pregnancies, I hate feeling like I can't share any of my choices until after the fact, because I know someone somewhere will think less of me no matter what happened. And even with everyday parenting choices, I get nervous when I find out my husband told some random person details that could make a total stranger judge me. I'm glad you're comfortable enough to share your life with everyone, and I do hope people JUST stop!
    I hate too, how no matter which way you do things people get mad...like the helmet thing. In Utah, everyone had their kids in helmets for everything, at least in the community we lived in. But here, NO one wears a helmet for anything, even very dangerous stuff like motorcycles, and I hear moms making fun of other moms for making their kids wear helmets. We even feel like weirdos because our kids all have various types fo carseats, and other people don't do that. You can't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've had to learn that you just can't please everyone. Everyone will think that they can parent your kids better than you can. It's so dumb. I think it's harder here in Utah too, at least in a ward like mine where there are cliques and tight-knit groups who gossip like crazy. I went to a relief society service night and half the women at my table were gossiping about how so-and-so lets their kid do such-and-such and I just kept thinking "You know that person is your next door neighbor right? And that they are sitting at the next table over?" I think it's just the culture here to try and make yourself look like the best parent on the block, and many people do that by trying to make other mothers look bad.

      Delete
  6. Well stated! The vast majority of parents are making considered and informed decisions about their children and I really think people need to respect that, at the end of the day, everybody wants what's best for their families. You're making the best decision for yours; don't let anybody make you feel like a bad parent because it's not the best choice for theirs. Some profanity comes to mind here, but I'll refrain... ;)

    I hope the rest of your pregnancy passes quickly and that your baby boy arrives safely and smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana! And it's true, people just need to do what they feel is best for themselves and their families. For example, I'm not a fan of the "water birth" approach, but I'd never attack any of my friends who have done that, because that's what they feel comfortable with, and it's not my place to tell them otherwise.

      By the way, I told my little sister about your blog, because she is a huge reader and she told me her dream would be to go to school in England. So I told her I knew someone just like her, you!

      Delete