Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mother's Day

My mother's day this year was wonderful! 
It started out with Breakfast in bed. Bryant made me pancakes, but whenever he cooks, he likes to experiment, so he added cinnamon and vanilla into the batter. They were delicious, a little undercooked, but delicious. Besides, it's the thought that counts :-)







After Breakfast, Bryant took Savannah out into the living room so I could lay in bed and read all morning long. I was also able to get in the shower without a toddler trying to jump in as well, and Bryant got Savannah in the tub, and all ready for church.

Savannah was pretty well behaved in church. And by well behaved, I mean she didn't scream to high heaven when we wouldn't let her run around in the back of the cultural hall. This year at church, they gave all the women little bags of chocolates, which most women tucked away in their purses to enjoy later. You better believe I had eaten that entire bag before the 1st class even started! After classes, Savannah gave me a poem with her hand print on it that she made in nursery. It may have been the pregnancy hormones, but I kind of choked up and teared up when she handed it to me. She was so proud of it and pointed out all the hearts on it for me.



After church, I was left alone to get a good nap in. 
Afterwords, we drove up to my grandparent's house for enchiladas and gifts.

My sister and I went out and got my mom a necklace with our, and my 2 brother's initials on it. My grandma gave me some adorable earrings (which the 1st time I wore them out, I had a million compliments on!) and my parents gave me a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble! If anyone ever wonders what I like to get for gifts, gift cards for books is always a good choice.



It's hard to believe that I have been a mom for 2 years now, and will have 2 kids to mother any day now (let's hope sooner rather than later...) It's definitely been a learning experience. Some days, I feel like the world's worst mother. Especially on days like today when my daughter woke up several hours earlier than she normally does, and was a little stinker all day and I didn't have the patience to put up with her temper tantrums, so I had to use the "just ignore it" tactic. Days like today make me think "I am terrible at this. She just wants attention and I'm too tired/sore/impatient/pregnant/selfish to give it to her right now. How will I ever give her everything she needs? How will I take care of 2 kids?!" 



But then, I get those moments where she comes out of nowhere and asks me for a big hug and kiss, or curls up in my lap just to cuddle, or she brings me little treasures she finds like rocks, or weeds, or a stuffed animal. Or when I'm getting ready for the day and she "helps" me put on my makeup, takes a step back with a grin on her face and says "oh mommy, you so cute!" 

Moments like that I think "No, I'm doing alright. My wild child is happy and healthy and that's all that matters".

I think attaining that "image" of the perfect mother is even harder in this day and and age. People make themselves look as good as possible on facebook, or on a blog, or on instagram. And I love to see this perceived image of the happy-go-lucky mom who has kids that never have melt-downs, or who never make a mess. I really do because it gives me something to strive for, to better myself. But the other side of me loves that I can be a "real" mom. That there are times when cookies and chocolate pop-tarts are on the menu for dinner, that my house is in a perpetual state of dirty dishes and smelly laundry, that letting my daughter go and dig in the dirt of the flower bed is entertainment around here. I think it keeps our life interesting, and even after an imperfect day, I can read my daughter a bedtime story, tuck her into bed, and when I turn off her light, I know that she considers me her closest friend. We do everything together, and we learn together.

I like being a mom. I like it a whole lot more than I had ever imagined I would. All the tantrums, all the time-outs, all the goldfish cracker crumbs and late nights and bruised knees are worth all the hugs, kisses, cuddles, smiles, laughs, and "I love you's" a million times over.

At the end of mother's day, I watched my wild girl as she watched my grandparent's horses run around, and I felt like I should really be celebrating her. Because she is the whole reason I even get to have a mother's day. She has shaped and molded me into the person I am today more than anyone else on this earth. I love her more than anything.



And a big thank you goes out to my Mom and my Mother-in-law, and my grandmother's and Bryant's Grandmothers, and all my aunts and all Bryant's aunts for being such great examples of amazing women. You have all helped me along this still fairly-new journey of motherhood. I love you all and owe you all so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment