Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

4 Years Later and Still Going Strong

Last Wednesday was Bryant and I's 4th anniversary.
Where did the last 4 years go? It doesn't feel that long. Although, we have technically been "together" for 5 years, and friends for 6. Saying that makes it seem longer.
And I am more in love with him today than I was the day I married him. And I will be more in love with him tomorrow than I am today. (Sounds so sappy, but It's true!)



Bryant had to work most of the day, and I was thinking we would just do a quick dinner out somewhere like Texas Roadhouse or Olive Garden (thats about as fancy as we get around here these days because they are still pretty kid-friendly...) 

But Bryant surprised me by getting off work a little earlier than I was expecting him, and he told me to "Dress fancy. Not 'prom' fancy, but fancy casual" (his words, not mine). Since I only have one maternity shirt that is short-sleeved and still fits, I had to go with pink stripes and khaki pants. A little too casual for a fancy dinner, but it's the best I could do.

We took Savannah to my parents house and took off. Bryant told me that the place we were going was about 40 minutes away, so I was thinking we were headed to somewhere in Salt Lake, but he headed south towards Provo. As soon as he turned up the canyon, I knew where he was taking me.

The Tree Room at Sundance! 
Ahhhh! 

I've lived in Utah my entire life and have never been to Sundance. Is that crazy or what?!? I've done half the Alpine loop several times, but never made it down the backside into Sundance, but I have heard a LOT of good things about the Tree Room.


The whole restaurant is so cozy. I felt like I was just having dinner in a really nice cabin with Southwestern decorations. The only thing I found weird, is that they sat us at a table, which had a couch to sit on, on one side, and nothing on the other. So Bryant and I sat next to each other, and had a beautiful view of the trees out the large window, which was really romantic, except that we were both in front of all the other tables and guests. Bryant told me he felt like we were at the head of a table or something. I wondered if people thought it was weird that we were essentially watching all of them eat.


The food was amazing! I always feel so awkward when I go somewhere really nice to eat, like I'm really out of place. When they asked what I wanted to drink, I asked for just a water. Then the waitress said "We have water, bottled water, sparkling water, bottled sparkling water, which do you prefer?" and I just, very dumbly responded, "um, just ice water" and she replied "so just tap water?! Ok..." 

They first brought out these weird spoon things with a tiny dollop of a pea puree, a single slice of a strawberry, a mint leaf and an almond slice. Like, the whole concoction was slightly bigger than a dime. Bryant and I looked at each other and I said "how the heck are we supposed to eat this? Do I use a fork, or do I just lick it off?" I ended up just licking it off all awkwardly. Bryant then said "Honey, we are not very good at being fancy..." No, we are not. After that weird little bite of food, they brought out a mango sorbet. Yum! I ended up ordering the peppered steak with what I think was an apricot sauce, mashed potatoes and spinach. Bryant got the buffalo with a semi-spicy blackberry sauce. We unashamedly reached over and ate off each others plates. I tell ya, we are classy...



They offered us the dessert menu to look over, but we both decided that we didn't want to pay nearly 20 bucks for a dessert and declined. They ended up bringing us 2 little chocolate tarts with a raspberry on them anyways. 

After dinner, we kind of snuck around the restaurant and the lounge next to it just to check it all out. I MIGHT have also been snooping around to see if I would bump into Robert Redford... but no luck there.


We then headed outside and walked around for a bit. There were a ton of people riding the ski lifts up the mountain and then biking back down, and we had fun watching them for a bit.


Afterwords, we debated going home and picking Savannah up. Most of the time when we go on dates, we do dinner OR a movie, so that we are not forcing whoever is babysitting to deal with our crazy, high-energy child for more than a couple of hours. But I told Bryant that we should just do the whole date enchilada and go see a movie too. So we headed back down the canyon to the theaters where we saw the new Star Trek movie! We got lucky because the theater sold out minutes after we got our tickets. Who knew Wednesdays were such a popular day to go see a movie?


The whole night was perfect! Bryant always spoils me on our anniversary. And now that we have a daughter, dates in general are far and few between, so something like this is extra special and extra romantic!


I'm so happy to be married to my best friend. I know the term "soul mates" is a little cheesy and sappy, but I truly think of ourselves that way. If you think about it, so many factors and details of our lives had to work out just perfectly for us to even meet, let alone fall in love and get married. Not to mention that I do believe that we are sealed for time and all eternity. It's not just "till death do we part" for us. We will be together forever. We are a team, and we work together in everything we do. Marriage is hard work guys, but it's so worth it if you put the effort into it. I am a very lucky woman to have married someone who sees my potential, who pushes me to accomplish my goals, who walks beside me in all my decisions. When I told Bryant I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, he fully supported me and did what he had to do to make sure I could stay home with Savannah. And I know that if I went to him and told him I wanted to be a working mom, that he would fully support me in that too. It's a beautiful thing to have someone who loves you unconditionally, and who wants to make you happy, and I was so lucky to find Bryant, who loves me as much as he does. 

Happy 4 years baby, and here's to many, many more anniversaries!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, what a sweet post! What a fantastic way to celebrate your marriage. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete