Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Still Waiting

 I'm officially 38 weeks, and no baby yet.

I have to keep reminding myself that we still have 2 whole weeks left before his due date. 
I went in for another appointment on Thursday, and I've progressed to 3cm and I'm still at 80% effacement, so at least I'm heading in the right direction.

But I'm getting way too excited. I wake up every morning thinking "I've got a good feeling about today", and then of course, nothing ever happens.

But I am so done being pregnant.

My mom and I were talking about how much we like being pregnant, how we both actually really like the whole pregnancy/labor/birth process, and I truly do! It gives me a sense of empowerment and strength. But as I've said in numerous posts, this pregnancy has been so much harder on my body than my first. There was always something making this pregnancy tough. First it was horrible morning sickness that lasted over 20 weeks. Then it was sciatic nerve pain, then my right hip dislocating twice. Then it was lower back pain. Then it was overwhelming exhaustion (which we found was due to my anemia, and has been somewhat resolved with iron supplements) and now It's cramping in my thighs and calves that will drop me to the floor with no warning. It's a little embarrassing being at the grocery store, or going for a walk in my neighborhood and suddenly dropping to my knees in pain. It's no fun.

I've completely lost the will to do anything this last week. I don't want to cook, I don't want to clean, I don't want to go to the grocery store. Nothing. In fact, I spent almost my entire day today in bed either watching TV, reading, or sleeping. Thankfully, Savannah was fine hanging out on my bed with me all day. We did go outside to play with chalk with her grandpa for a bit before it started raining, and I did a load of laundry. So I was sort of productive. But I won't lie and say that I wouldn't want to just lay in bed all day again tomorrow, because I probably will do just that.

But ultimately, I still enjoy this whole process. I'm very blessed to have had no problems with this pregnancy, other than some aches and pains. 

We are all getting a little anxious waiting for baby boy to arrive. Bryant texts or calls me several times a day asking how I'm feeling, if I've had any contractions, if I need anything, etc. Last week we were leaving for my brother's wedding and I told him to get Savy in the car and I'd grab some spatulas for the luncheon and be right out. But then I decided to fix a snack to take along for Savannah since it was nearly a 2 hour drive to the temple, and then I went to grab a spare dress for her, just in case. Suddenly, Bryant came flying in. When he found me in the kitchen, he let out a huge breath and said "oh, you're ok! You were just taking longer than I thought and I was worried you were on the floor going into labor!"

Then the next night, he had gone to play basketball and I was giving Savannah a bath before bedtime. I pulled the plug and let the water drain and she still didn't want to get out of the tub. So I walked across the hall to her room to grab her jammies and Bryant walked in and heard Savannah in the bathroom, so he poked his head in and said hi, then he started panicking and ran into our room shouting for me again. When I yelled that I was in her room getting jammies, he once again said "Oh good! I saw savannah in an empty tub and I thought something was wrong and you were passed out on the floor or something!"

That poor kid, his nerves are going to be fried if this baby doesn't come ASAP!

I feel pretty ready. I have yet to pack a hospital bag, but I'm slowly working on it. And I still need to wash the car seat and get it installed. But I'm all pre-registered at the hospital, and the pack-n-play/bassinet is all cleaned up and ready to go, and all his clothes and blankets are washed and folded. 

So we are basically just playing the waiting game.
Bryant keeps telling me that I need to invoke the "law of attraction". If I want something bad enough, it will happen. It usually works for him when he's looking for a parking spot, so in theory it should work with a baby too right?

(anyone got any good tricks to inducing labor? You know, that don't include drinking caster oil? I'll try anything here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment