Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Well, after the epically disappointing "blizzard" we were supposed to get last week, we finally got a bit of snow. And as much as I really hate the cold, the driving on slick roads, and the bundling up like i'm going extended deep sea diving just to get something out of my car, there is something about the snow that really helps me get into the Christmas spirit!

Bryant and I curled up and watched Frosty The Snowman with big steaming cups of hot chocolate Sunday night so I decided that it was about time we set up our tree.

Last year was our first Christmas as a married couple and we couldn't afford to buy a tree, let alone had room for one, but my parents came to the rescue! They found a 3ft pre-lit tree for us, which, yes it's tiny, but it fits perfectly in our living room/kitchen (yes, our couch and TV are in the kitchen...)
I think that even though it's small, it's kind of sweet in it's own Charlie Brown sort of way. Last year, most of my ornaments were pine-cones that I sprinkled in glitter and I ended up throwing them away because I knew they would just be a big old mess the next year. So this time, I decided to make slightly more permanent ornaments.


I just got some glass bulb ornaments from Roberts and I painted a few with window paint and wrapped a few with gold and silver ribbon.


And of course I brought out Ace's ornament. My parents got us a kit last year that you can make imprints in so after about 10 tries, Ace finally sat still long enough for us to get a good paw print. And it was a foam type stuff rather than plaster so there was no clean up!


I also saved a handful of bells from our wedding luncheon to use as ornaments. My mom gave one to everyone during the luncheon and the tradition goes that any time someone rings the bell, the bride and groom kiss. Needless to say, all the little kids had a blast ringing these in our face then yelling "Gross!!!" when we kissed (Bryant had a lot of fun with them last night too haha!"

Plus, bells always remind me of "It's a Wonderful Life".

These were the only ornaments I bought last year and there was no room on the tree for them. Also, they are a little big and they look funny on such a small tree so I converted them to standing picture frames.

Thanks to my wonderful Mother-in-Law Robyn, I now have an adorable snowman to add to my small but growing collection of Christmas decorations!

And thanks to my awesome sister-in-law Chantel, I now have a nativity! (And, this is handmade by her! Even better!!!)

I have a couple more decorations stowed away in the closet under my parents stairs like some willow tree figures and such, but I didn't want to dig all of my moms stuff out so i'll wait until she does it. I didn't want to mess up that whole closet, I probably wouldn't have been able to put it all back the way I found it.

But our tree is up! And decorated! I still need to make a star to go on top and I'm thinking of making a mini tree skirt to go under it.

Just thinking about it is getting me excited for Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment