Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Etsy?

So a lot of friends and family have Etsy shops, and they all seem to do pretty well.
For weeks, Bryant has been telling me that I should open one to sell some of the crafts and projects I do.

I LOVE my job. It's the best job I've ever had in fact and I've worked at the bookstore longer than I have at any other job. All my other jobs I would get so sick and tired of after a few months but I'm perfectly happy at my current job. It's perfect for me, and I love the people I work with.

However, I want nothing more than to be a stay at home mom when this baby gets here. We have plenty of support from my parents and I have no doubt Bryant and I can balance school, work and being new parents, and the money would be extremely helpful, but I really really want to be here for my baby as much as possible, and If I didn't have to work that would really be a blessing.

Every time I bring this up with Bryant he says "well just open an etsy shop. You love making stuff, you might as well make a profit off of it too"

But weighing pro's and cons, there seem to be more cons...

Pro's:
I can stay home
I get to create and make things all day which I love,
I will have my own schedule,
If we ever moved, I wouldn't have to find a new job
If successful, the money would be good

Con's:
My stuff may not be very good
My items would not be consistent(meaning I have too many random things I would list, they wouldn't make sense being in the same shop.)
If unsuccessful, I'd be in the hole with money
There is a lot of competition out there
My current job is reliable (and I'd miss it)
I basically would have no idea what I'm doing

Bryant says I could give it a trial run. Open one during the holiday season and see if it's worth doing. So here I am, asking the blogging world for some opinions and advice!







3 comments:

  1. Bryant is totally right. Open right now, just before the holidays. I will help you! You can ask me anything you want to know! I opened about a year ago and I've been able to make enough money to support myself and help pay the bills. I can stay at home all day, and make my own schedule and rules. It's totally worth it. It's a little scary to put yourself out there at first. But you will never know until you try. Etsy is a lot of fun, there are some great people on it. There are forums and chatrooms to help new people. And really.. I can help you if you need it! good luck!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and it only costs .20 cents to list an item.. so if nothing sells it's only a few dollars you'd be out on.. but they will sell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it. Give it a trial run. I know a lot of people who sell stuff on etsy. But I think you should stay at BN as long as possible (we would miss you if you left!!). Maybe even cut back to one night a week right before your baby comes and maybe even after you've had the baby. Then you could still have some away time and all the discounts. And a foot in the door if you ever needed it. But that's just my opinion. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete