Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

A Parasite

Have you ever heard of a strangler tree?
I read about it once in a National Geographic when I was in grade school and I've always remembered everything I learned about it.

(source)

It's a parasitic tree, meaning that it relies on a host to survive.
In other words, its a squatter and a moocher.


They are generally fig trees that once a seed has landed on the ground, it sprouts 2 sets of roots, one set to grow into the ground and one that begins to wrap tightly around another tree.

At first, the strangler tree relies on sunlight, rainfall and leaf litter to grow on its own. But it gets greedy. It literally squeezes the host tree until it cant properly circulate water and sap anymore, and the roots overtake the host tress roots. Soon, the strangler tree has grown taller and thicker and blocks out the sun from getting to the host tree.

Pretty crazy huh?


Yesterday, after an extremely awful round of morning sickness (Bryant told me to stay home from church, and he cleaned the whole apartment! I could get used to this...) Bryant was congratulating me on how well I've handled being pregnant so far (he was just being nice, I haven't handled it so well, I'm a fan of complaining these days)

I was telling him that I felt like I shouldn't complain so much and that I don't know how everyone else can get pregnant and seem to breeze on through it.

He replied, well, it's not easy when there is a parasite growing inside you.

He was kind of right.
A baby is just like a parasite in a way...

It attaches to your body, feeding off your food and water supply and using your body to develop and grow. It can be tough, what with all the puke episodes (that include but are not limited to just mornings, as the name would suggest) my super-human sense of smell that no longer allows me to take out the trash, do the dishes or eat anything with garlic. The 3 times a night bathroom runs that leave me tired and super grumpy every day, And my hips, that just this week have begun to be sore and ache, especially when I lay down on my side to sleep.

But I think this is the best parasite in the world to get. I will gladly sacrifice my body, my sleep, my raisin bran (adios to cereal in general these days) and my dignity as I run from my classroom to puke in the trash can in the hallway, just to ensure that this little parasite continues to grow and be healthy.

And don't forget, just because you give birth to the baby, doesn't mean it stops being a parasite, it latches onto you for at least 18 years... haha :-)

Just thought I'd share a photo of me at 10 weeks. I know i'm not really "showing" yet but I thought it would be fun to post a picture of the ever growing belly once a week. Mostly for my Grandma, Mom and Mother-in-law to see.

Yes, I look a bit bigger and yes, I can't wear those pants comfortably without a rubber band through the button, but no, I'm just getting a little chubby is all. For something the size of a lime, it requires a LOT of food. I just had hash browns and an orange juice an hour ago (since I lost my apple and other orange juice this morning) and I'm already STARVING!

5 comments:

  1. Just remember every time you throw up your baby is getting healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJ also likes to refer to the fetus as a parasite, and I find it amazing how it truly takes over every system in your body. All you can do is take it 1 day at a time and try to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I know how you feel!! However, cereal was the one thing I COULD eat. I never threw up at all. But the nausea was bad in the evenings. I just had to stick with what I could eat. Using a heating pad helped me too. If your nausea is super bad and you are throwing up, some OB's will prescribe you some fenegren. I was able to get some because I couldn't sleep. It helps with the nausea and sleeping. And it was nice. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps, I totally need to put a pic up of my belly because I am like three times your size! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so cute and skinny. You're going to make a beautiful mommy.

    As far as that tree. It's creepy looking but oddly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete