Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Breaking out of my creative rut....

I love creating.

It's in my blood.

My dad is an artist and my mom does graphic design and crafts.

I was raised around craft shows every summer because my parents were always vendors in them.

We always had homemade Halloween costumes, the best school state report dioramas, and our Christmas tree had more handmade ornaments than store bought.

Lately, I have been in a creating funk. Not much inspiration coming my way lately. But the other night I finally took out my sewing machine and dusted it off (literally, it was caked in dust!).

Have you gone over to visit my good friend Rachael over at Talk2thetrees? She is super creative and she did a tutorial the other day for an adorable dress.

I love dresses because...

1. They are lightweight enough to wear in the summer
2. They are comfortable
3. They are pretty
4. I can wear them to work
5. They are really comfortable now that all my other clothes are fitting just a bit more snug these days...

So I headed over to wal mart (I made Bryant come with me cause wal mart literally stresses me out every time I go) and browsed the $1.50 fabric, and got a t-shirt for $3.50.

Just ignore the trash bag full of weeds next to me...

The whole thing cost me about 8 bucks to make.

I love it! I'm definitely going to be making more and I'm planning on making one for my little sister too.

If you want to make one for yourself, it's super cheap and incredibly easy. For the tutorial go here.

And after you make your dress, head on over to Talk2thetrees Etsy Shop to get a cute hat or beautiful hand painted necklace to accessorize!

Speaking of accessories... I also dusted off my jewelry junk and made a bracelet to go with my new dress.



The charms were from Roberts, but you can also get them at Michaels. (I know because I bought the same set there when I made my mom the same bracelet for mothers day).

There are other things in the works right now, like spicing up my craft storage boxes and there will be TONS more here in about 2 or three months, but I can't tell you what they will be yet, partly cause that would ruin the surprise and partly cause I don't know yet what they will be... Exactly... (now i've made you curious right? Hehehe!)

1 comment:

  1. Brooke! That dress is SOOO cute! Thanks for this post! I'm so glad your dress turned out!!! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete