Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Back to work

Baby girl let me have a whole half hour to get dinner going and do the dishes before she decided that she didn't want to sit there alone anymore. (We've recently discovered that Sesame Street already completely fascinates her at only 2 months old.) So we are now cuddling and there is nothing on TV and my Nook is charging or I would read. So it's blogging time!

Last night was my first day back to work. I didn't work for the last week before I had Savy J and I was lucky that it's been slow at work so I was able to just do on call shifts, which allowed me to extend my 6 week maternity leave into 9 weeks. So I had not been to work in 10 weeks.

It was weird going back. It felt like a cross between my first day at work and a first day at school. The night before, I felt like I needed to go buy pens and a notebook or something. 

It was really nice to be back. I've missed my co-workers and my store. I felt really out of the loop though. They had moved a few things around, and I hadn't kept up on all the new releases out. In fact, one of the first customers I had said "I need that new book on Obama's mom." when I asked what the title was, or who the author was, she said "I don't know, but it's a new release. You're supposed to know all the new releases right? Don't you have a specific spot for those?". If I had been to work when the book came out, I would have known exactly what she was talking about. Thankfully, I decided on a whim to check the new in biographies bay, and, wouldn't you know, it? It was there! I was glad I found it because I had 3 more requests for the book, and not a single customer knew the title. 

I liked being back at work, but I missed Savannah more than anything. I think I would have done better if it was only a 4 hour shift, but it was a full 8 hour shift. All I could think about was getting home to her. It was so slow they even sent a few people home, but as much as I was dying to get home, I wanted to stay and work the whole shift, just so that I could get back into the swing of things. It's nice to be making money again too. I feel like I'm contributing more.

I don't know when the next time I'll be going back into work will be since I'm just an on call person for the summer, but it's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment