Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

5 weeks and colic

Savy J is just over 5 weeks old.
It's so crazy to think that only 5 weeks ago, I woke up, not expecting to have a baby, then coming home 2 days later with her in my arms.

It's feels like I've had her forever.

But then I realize that my maternity leave will be up next week, and I'll have to leave her for a few hours a week and I am so sad and a little anxious about it. I really wish I didn't have to go back. I want to be a stay at home Mom and be here for every minute of her life. Last night, as I crawled into bed with my princess in my arms and the love of my life, Bryant, next to me, he asked "would you be totally opposed to quiting your job and just staying home?"

I told him that if I felt like we could afford it, I would say yes in a heartbeat.

And thats the problem. we can afford it at the moment. Bryant decided to take the summer semester of school off, and he got a promotion and a pay raise at work, plus more hours. But once school starts in the fall, we both will be going full time, which means Bryant won't be able to work as much, which means we will need me to work part time as well. Which means that I need to keep working this summer in order to keep my job.

I'm really, really hoping that I can convince my managers to let me work only once a week for the summer. I wouldn't mind being gone for 4 or 5 hours, one night a week.

But going to school and work in the fall is going to crush my heart. I don't want to leave my baby.

Anyways, enough about that (just thinking about it is making me sad).

(LOVE those leggings! They are for 12 months, but they fit perfectly as pants right now)

At five weeks, Savannah has grown so much! She's still a skinny little thing (with chubby cheeks) but extremely long! She's a good sleeper still, and I think we definitely have a nighttime routine established. She usually falls asleep around midnight, then is up at 2 to eat and get her diaper changed, then up again around 5 or 6 to eat and get changed again, then up at 8 to eat, get a bath, and get dressed. So even though I still have to get up with her, I'm on that schedual too so it's easier to get up with her, and I don't feel quite as tired as I used too.



Our only problem we've come across is between 9 and midnight, she's extremely fussy and cries. Her pediatrician told us that around 6 weeks is when babies may become colicy. He said that it would usually last around 3 hours a day, at the same time each day, particularly late afternoon/early evening. He gave me a book that covers pretty much everything from birth to 5 years old and I looked up what you can do to sooth babies with colic, and it had different ways to hold them on their stomachs, so the last few nights as she begins to get fussy and upset, I just drape her over my arm and hold her head up and she calms right down. The only downfall is that my arm hurts like crazy after an hour or so.

But hey! I can sooth my baby and tone up those "relief society arms" I've aquiered.


She gets cuter and cuter each day and she does something new each day.

Like recently, she taken a liking to giving herself hickeys on her right arm. Or how she loves to look out the window at the trees, or stare at her uncle Colter's hair with a confused look on her face.
 
Not to boast or anything (ok, well I am...) But I totally made this dress They are doing mold removal in my apartment and so everything is moved into my kitchen and its all dusty and gross down there and they have a big old plastic conatinment up all over the place. And when you live in a 500 sq ft apartment, you can feel quite cramped down there if you are stuck in one room all day, so Savannah and I have been haging out in my parents living room during the days this last week, and I had a lot of extra time on my hands and some left over fabric.

Unfortunatly, I made it just a tad small around the waist and so today is probably the first and last day she will be able to wear it. I attached it to the onesie, but I've got some purple fabric I want to use to make a similar dress out of, but I think I'll stick elastic in it so she can wear it longer. I hope I can find more yellow too because I think she looks so stinkin' cute in yellow!

Happy Monday everyone!

P.S. If anyone feels like it, my grandpa and my mother-in-law could use some good thoughts and prayers going their way. They both had surgery this week and I hope they feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment