Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

A Love Letter

Dear Bryant,
     Our 2 year anniversary is coming up this weekend and I couldn't be more excited! The other night, we sat in bed with our beautiful daughter drifting off to sleep between us and we talked and reminisced about how long we've been together.
     I first met you in September of 2007. I had just moved out of my parents house into a cramped little apartment with 5 girls I had never met. I was shy and quite, and a little nervous. You had just moved from California and you were outgoing and energetic and made friends quickly. You were the "FHE Dad" in our group and we had hung out in our group a couple of times, but never really spoke to eachother.


     I remember you had longer hair then and I loved your freckles on your tan skin. I thought you looked like a typical California boy. I pictured you out on a surfboard, or at a fire on the beach. Little did I know you were from beautiful Northern California where the forests are thick and the lakes are clear, and the town is small and friendly.

     I remember going to the Halloween party at that lodge. I was dressed as a mime. It fit my shyness. You were dressed like Ace Ventura, complete with crazy hair, tutu, and boots. I think it was then that I developed a little crush on you. You were crazy and fun and I wanted to always be around you.


     Remember how shortly after that I would make you and your roommates brownies? I did that for months before you finally started to become friends with me. I was sure that if I baked you chocolate goodness, that I would win your heart. Only now do I know why it didn't really work. You're not really a fan of desserts unless it's cheesecake or involves fruit...


     We slowly became good friends. Remember that night you showed up at my apartment with 2 pizzas and a bottle of pepsi? Remember how we were planning on watching a movie just us two, but my roommate insisted that it was her night to have the TV and so we ended up watching Adventures in Babysitting? I wanted so badly to hold your hand, or cuddle with you during that ridiculous 80's movie, but at that point, we were still "just friends."
     We still laugh about that night you asked me to go see the midnight showing of 10,000 BC. My hair was soaking wet and you gave me an awesome (sarcasm here) green stripped beanie to hide the mess. I count that as our first date, even if it wasn't. You paid, so it counts.

      I remember that I was crushed when you showed up a couple days later at my front door and you said you were moving to Seattle for the summer. I was planning on moving to Sweden and I was sure we would never see each other again. 
     Well I made the decision last minute not to move to Sweden, and a few weeks later, I heard a knock at my door. I opened it, and there you were. You simply said "I didn't like Seattle." My heart did flips!
     From that moment on, we were inseparable! I still remember the night you told me you loved me. It was dark and we went for a moonlit stroll through a park. We sat under a tree and looked at the stars and you said "you know, it's weird because we haven't even been together that long, but I think I'm falling in love with you..." And it was weird because from that moment on, I knew we would be together forever. I can't even describe how I knew. I just did.
     You must have loved me, because remember the day I took you to meet my family? And I mean my whole family? Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins included, and we weren't even officially "dating" yet. It was like that scene from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', and yet, you weren't scared off by my crazy family. In fact, that night you kissed me and we officially became "an item."
     I would say we are two peas in a pod, peanut butter and jelly, Bert and Ernie. But we're not. We do compliment each other well, but we compliment each other because we are so different. It's more like we're peas and ranch dressing, peanut butter and honey, or Elmo and the grouch. Different, uncommon, but still sweet together.

     I appreciate everything you do. You work so hard to provide for me and sweet little Savannah. You are patient with me and understanding. You make me feel like I can do anything. You make me feel confident, and strong and beautiful. Even when you say you think my stretch marks are cute because they make me look like a tiger... But that's what made me fall in love with you, the fact that you make me smile and laugh every single day. Savannah is so lucky to have you as her daddy. I like hearing you in the other room telling her how beautiful she is, and that you love her. I hope that someday she finds a boy just as wonderful as you. 
     The other night we came to the conclusion that we have been friends for 4 years, been "together" for 3 years, and married for 2. I can't wait for the rest of our lives.

We have so many exciting and adventurous things yet to come. 
 I love you Bryant Stokes, and I will forever!
Happy anniversary.

Love, Brooke                

3 comments:

  1. Brooke,
    That was beautiful! I am very impressed! Bryant sounds like the perfect guy for you and I'm so happy for you! Thank you for sharing!
    Tasha
    ps. you made me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was like the cutest letter ever!!! And holy crud, the glenhood seems like so long ago doesn't it? 8)

    ReplyDelete