Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

1 Week!

Savannah was 1 week old yesterday.
Is it weird that I already think she's growing up too fast?
I take pictures of her everyday because she changes everyday. It's been the best week ever.

(She makes the best faces!)

I'll try to finish this post tonight because Savannah is washed, diapered, clothed, fed, burped, cuddled and soundly sleeping next to her daddy while he sings her beautiful music and I surprisingly have a tiny bit of spare energy (thanks to a brief nap) so I decided to write about our week before I crash and get woken up in an hour and a half by her. But you never know with babies, any second she could have a diaper blow out, a screaming fit or need to eat again.*

But I love it.

This first week of her life has been a fairly eventful one. Starting Monday, the day after we brought her home, we have had to go to the hospital every morning to get her heel pricked for blood samples for a biliruben test because she's been jaundiced. The first day she was a 9 and they said that was a little high, but nothing to worry about. The next day, she had jumped to a 16. This was a huge jump, but still not enough to need to take any action. They had me come down to the pediatrician to get her looked at and the doctor said she was a little yellow and a bit lethargic, but nothing to worry about yet. He also had me make an appointment with the lactation consultant for the next day because I mentioned that I've been having a hard time keeping her awake during feedings and she had gone from 7lbs 8oz, to 6lbs 12oz. That was roughly 10% of her birth weight which is normal, but we just didn't want to risk her losing any more. He also told me to start supplementing with formula just to get her weight gain going.

(She was smiling in her sleep and my Mom and I were trying to get a picture but we kept missing it. This half-smile was just as cute though!)

The lactation consultant was great! She showed us a few tricks to keep her awake while I fed her and she gave me her home phone number just in case I had any other questions and she invited me to come back any time I needed any help. She said that I was doing exactly what I needed too and that Savannah was doing what she needed to do, just the jaundice was wearing her out and that she would do better once she got over it. She also said if we had to use a phototherapy light that that would make her even more tired because it would be just like sitting out in the sun all day.

Well, sure enough, the next day her levels rose to an 18 and the nurse called a home hospice care for me to bring whats called a biliblanket. It's a biliruben light on a paddle that straps to her back and shines a light, and she would need to wear it 24 hours a day. Poor Savvy J was so tired and worn out and I was really worried about her. That afternoon Bryant's parents and brother wanted to go to lunch with us while my Dad and brother and sister babysat and I was all for it until 5 minutes before we left and I kind of had a breakdown. (dang hormones!!!) I was so upset about leaving my sick little girl. Poor Bryant felt so bad. He kept telling me that she would be just fine and that out of any problem we could have had with her, this was probably the easiest because it was extremely treatable and she wasn't in any pain. I told him that I just couldn't leave her and that he should just go, but my dad cheered me up when he said "for crying out loud! I've raised 4 kids, she'll be fine for an hour!"

So we went to Jason's Deli for lunch and it felt so good to get out of the house for a bit.


So we started her on the biliblanket and kept her on it for 2 1/2 days. I got a call from the nurse saying her numbers went back to a 16.9 and to go ahead and take her off the light. So today we took her in one more time to get tested (thank goodness! I don't think I could take much more of watching people prick her poor little heel) and the nurse called me saying that it went down to a 14.7 which means she's getting better without the light. So we don't have to test her anymore and I can tell that she has so much more energy and instead of being awake for 5 minutes at a time, she's awake for up to an hour and a half at a time. This has also really helped in our feeding times. She's eating more and for a longer period of time. The doctor wanted her to gain 2 ounces by Thursday and she was up to 7lbs so she had gained 4 ounces!

She's also had a lot of visitors this week. My friends Janine, Shaun, Hettie and Katie have all stopped by and brought her presents (and Shaun brought me a pack of cokes! Thanks Shaun!) and our good family friend Fred came over ("grandpa Fred") my aunt Lynae and her husband Daron, my aunt Kris and her husband Dan, and my grandparents have all come to see and cuddle her too. My youngest Brother Sawyer has even brought a bunch of his friends by over the week to show her off hahaha!

And lets not forget her Grandma and Grandpa Stokes were here all week! I wish they had been able to stay a bit longer because the next time we see them she'll be 3 months old!


(Savannah with the biliblanket. She looks like a little glow worm! And she sleeps like her daddy with her arms up above her head. When I swaddle her, I have to keep her arms out or she gets fussy and wiggles them out!)

My neighbors little girl who loves to tease our chickens and chat with my dad came by today and when she saw Savannah she said "she's got a big head... is she zero?" When I asked "Zero what?" she said "you know, Zero years old?".

Haha, yes, she's Zero years old I guess. Then she grabbed a cookie from the kitchen and sat and watched a bit of snow white with us.

It's been an amazing week. A tiring, stressful, eventful week, but the best week ever! I'm already bummed that I only have 5 more weeks before I have to go back to work. We are hoping that I will only have to work 1 day a week. Bryant is trying to convince me to be a full time stay at home Mom, but during the school year he won't be able to work as much so I'll probably need to pick up a couple of days. I think it will work because he is usually home in the evenings and I usually work nights during the school year. Plus, my parents are looking for any reason to get us out of the house to babysit.

(This was the last photo of me pregnant. I took it the night before I had Savannah and It was also the night before I was 39 weeks pregnant to the day. Can you believe that just a week ago I was pregnant and HUGE!?)

*This post was finished an hour ago, I just needed to put a couple more photos in it, but Savannah woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep. She's now sitting in her swing, happily sucking her pacifier and watching me as I finished this up. Lets hope she falls asleep soon because the last bit of my energy is now officially gone...

1 comment:

  1. Oh she is just adorable. Just LOVE her! It was hard for me too with Tallie's bilirubin. Except we had to use the photo therapy light case and stick her in it. It was awful! I would have preferred the blanket much more because she would scream from not being wrapped up. And their poor little heels...those were awful. Little Savannah Jane is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete