Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Una noche de amore

Yesterday, Bryant and I attended Una Noche De Amore.

It's an annual Valentines fund raising dinner/dance for my wards Young Women program.

The theme this year was a Latin/salsa theme and it was super fun! We decided to get all dressed up for the event. You paid for the dinner, then they had options to purchase flowers for your hair, boutonnieres for your sweetheart and chocolate-dipped strawberries, but unfortunately all we could afford was just the dinner. But I didn't want Bryant to go without a stylin' Boutonniere!

So I whipped one up out of some left-over felt I had.

(I appologize for the crappy photos. They were all taken on a camera phone and we all know how great those turn out in dark rooms...)

I made a Calla Lilly for him. That's what we had at our wedding and I loved them!
I thought it turned out pretty good.

I also decided to make a feather hair clip to match my dress, but I don't think you can see it that well in any of these photos

(shiny faces... bleh)

The turnout was huge! There were a lot more people than I expected but I was fun seeing everyone go all out.

I particularly enjoyed the people who wore old prom dresses from the 80's and 90's. If I weren't so massively huge around the middle these days, I would have borrowed my mom's old high school prom dress. I regret never wearing it to any of my high school dances.

My parents (sorry for the white out-shiny face look mom and dad! Blame the phone!)

The food was really really good too. For appetizers, they had fruit, chips, salsa and meatballs. Then they had a salad and chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, then all sorts of chocolate goodies for dessert.

They also had a band playing. Our music conductor for the ward owns a music school and has something like 6 bands, one of which travels the world and just recently came back from a gig in New Orleans.

(I wish I had a better picture of the band!)

They has some dance instructors come and teach some basic salsa moves. Bryant made me go up to learn but for some weird reason I chickened out. Stupid pregnancy hormones. I'm not sure what happened. I suddenly felt way too fat and felt like everyone was watching me. I felt like everyone could see my swollen ankles and stretch marks and fatty hands, which was ridiculous because the dance instructors partner was a lot more pregnant looking than me (how she could dance in stilettos, I'll never know...).

I promised myself that after we ate, I would get up and dance, but once I got up for a quick bathroom run, my whole body felt stiff and sore, like I had hiked all day long the day before and my muscles were sore. I realized that, in my flip flops or not, I was not going to be able to cut a rug. I blame the fact that I spent an hour and a half on my hands and knees cleaning out the refrigerator earlier that afternoon.


(it's ok, I know I look like Shamu...)

But despite our lack of dancing, Bryant and I had a great time! Some people were really getting into the dancing and It was great to see how much fun everyone was having.

(My handsome stud helping to clean up afterwords)


It was a great night! I told Bryant that that could be our Valentines date this year, seeing as we will be in a birthing class on Valentines day.


3 comments:

  1. Oh come on, birthing class is so much more romantic then anything else on this planet! It looks like it was a lot of fun, wish we could have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had fun! It was nice to see you for a minute, I wanted to come over and chat some more but Corey wasn't feeling well so we ended up leaving pretty early. I love the feather in your hair and the flower you made Bryant, you are awesome Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaww, you are TINY and you in no way resemble a whale. It's funny how huge you feel when you're pregnant, but looking back you'll see that you were not as big as a LOT of pregnant women. Your party looks fun! I wish our YW would do something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete