Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back to School

It's that time of year again. Summer vacation is officially over and it's time to head back to school. I feel like I've been in school forever. Seriously, this is my 21st year in school, if we aren't counting preschool. Yuck.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Finally. School has been tough. While going to college, I have been hospitalized for pneumonia, during Thanksgiving break, which means I missed the entire last month of school, including finals, so I was set back a whole semester. I've also gotten married while in college, I've had two babies while in college, I've worked while going to college. So many things have set me back and yet I kept trucking on foreword. So many times I cried and yelled and threw notebooks across my living room, boldly stating that I was done, that I was never going to finish and that I hated school, that I had too much on my plate, that it's too expensive. Finished! Then, I'd calm down, pick up the notebook, apologize to Bryant, and sheepishly return to school the next semester.

I even made the crazy decision to change my major, during my senior year, to a degree that I can barely stand. All in the name of getting done faster.

I was originally going into History Education. But after having Savannah, I realized just how far behind in the degree I was. I talked to an academic adviser who pointed me in the direction of Political Science. Because they are under the same department at the school, most of my credits would count towards it. So I made the switch. I don't necessarily hate political science. I just hate the people in my classes who think that their opinion is the only correct one. I switched during the last election. That was annoying because my classes just turned into "I'm right, you're wrong" arguments between my classmates.

But, I'm almost done. I'm so close.

Even though I ultimately just want to be a stay-at-home Mom, I know how important an education is. If my degree does nothing more than inspire my children to go to college, then it will have been worth it. Every late night, every research paper, every student that I want to smack upside the head. All worth it. 

I am actually very excited for this semester. I have only been going part time for the last 2 years, so I am only taking 2 classes. And one of them is online. I realized that in order to get a minor in history, I only had 1 more class to take, so I will be taking that one at the school. And after quitting my job a year ago, I don't get out much, so a few hours away to learn something I'm passionate about will be a welcome change. It feels like forever since I've taken a history class. It's going to be great!

In all honesty, if college was free, and I didn't have to write any papers or do any group assignments (the worst!!!) and no math classes, I would go to school forever. I love to learn. I like the whole school setting. I've always valued education and I love learning about all different subjects. I believe in being well-rounded and school can provide a lot of that. Sometimes, I wish there was a degree in "just a little bit of everything". I'd be good at that.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment