Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

In the Land of the Nerd: My first Comic Con

This past week, Salt Lake hosted it's first ever Comic Con! When I found out there were going to have one, I tried to convince Bryant to go, but he didn't want to have to take the time off of work to go. I didn't want to trek up there with just me and the kids, so I didn't think we would make it. As it got closer, Bryant started thinking that maybe he would like to go up on one of the days, but by then it was too late to plan around his work schedule. Then yesterday morning, I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we weren't going to be able to make it up there, and decided to just plan a little better for next year.

 ^This is only 1/4 of the line!^
^This guy was walking around and it looked so real! It was kind of freaky! They had a booth inside where they had information on hiring these people to have these are parties and stuff.^

But then I got a call from my sister who said she wanted to go, but none of her friends would go with her. My parents offered to drive us up there and then they would take my kids to the zoo while we enjoyed Comic Con! I immediately said yes, and got myself and the kids ready!

 ^I think this was my favorite! An AT-AT from Star Wars!^

 ^This R2D2 was legit! He was remote-controlled so he was just cruising all over the place!^

^Wayne and Gath from Wayne's world, and Marty McFly from Back to the Future!^

My parents hurried and bought us tickets online, that I just paid back when we were heading home, and they dropped us off at the Salt Palace. There was a HUGE line when we got there, which wasn't moving AT ALL. We just stood there for an hour, not moving, and not entirely sure what was going on. After about 45 minutes, a guy had come out with a megaphone, and said that the building was at capacity, and they were trying to get a rough count of people leaving before they could let anyone else in. But about 15 minutes after that, they announced that there was enough room for everyone, and we were all able to walk right in! They also announced that they had completely sold out! Bryant had called and said that he would try to get off a couple of hours early and come up, but I had to call him right back and tell him that there were no more tickets available :-(


 ^At the Dinosaur thing booth^


^We saw a lot of Iron Mans there^

Anyways, Sage and I had so much fun! It was crazy crowded, but everyone was having a blast and no one seemed to mind how hard it was to walk around. As soon as we walked in, Sage got a smile on her face and said "These are my people!" She's too cute for her own good.




 ^The Weta booth was pretty cool. They had brought a lot of replicas of stuff from the Hobbit. Also, that last photo, that guy's a real person. He was getting his makeup done from the guy in the red hat!^

We didn't go into any panels. Because I didn't think I'd be going up there, I hadn't really made a plan of what I wanted to go see. But we had a lot of fun wandering up and down the aisles at all the stuff and all the people in cosplay. I especially liked artists ally and It was fun talking to all the artists and authors that were there. My favorite part was just walking around and taking pictures with people. Sage was fearless and would go up and ask everyone for the photos. She even had people ask to take a picture with her, even though she wasn't technically dressed up like anyone (I think it was just because she's so stinkin' pretty...) I was really impressed with some people's creativity! I felt very under dressed!

 ^A Weeping Angel and River Song from Dr. Who^



 ^I was trying to turn my camera, and I accidentally snapped a photo at the same time, and this was the result. I really like it, it looks like she's traveling through time and space!^


I was impressed with Sage's knowledge of all things geeky. She knew every movie/tv show/book/video game, etc that was represented there. I thought I was nerdy, but Sage completely beat me out in that department.


 ^I might have been just a little overexcited!^

 ^Sage's socks are pretty awesome. They have little capes on the back!^

 ^Please excuse my derp face here. Also, I totally stole Sage's sonic screwdriver for this picture. Derp de derp...^

We also didn't get to meet any celebrities. I would have like to meet Henry Winkler, Kevin Sorbo, and Adrian Paul the most, because as a kid, I was a HUGE fan of Happy Days, Hercules (and Xena!) and Highlander. But I didn't have to money to meet all of them, so I decided to just admire from afar (or as Sage put it: "fangirl from afar")

 ^Ok, I never know what to do with my hands for photos...^

 ^Who ya gonna call? Ghost Busters! (I ain't afraid of no ghost!)^

 ^Sage just about jumped out of her socks in excitement about this girl's costume. She was the Tardis from "The Doctor's Wife" episode of Dr. Who, which is Sage's favorite episode.^

I'm STILL coming down from all the excitement of Comic Con! I've probably told Bryant about it a hundred times just today. We are for SURE going next year! And getting tickets early and planning which panels we want to go too.


 ^The lego displays were pretty awesome.^

 ^Again, I never know what to do with my hands!^

^We probably saw more people dressed up from Assassin's Creed than anything else. Sage recently borrowed Bryan't copy of the games, so she was pretty excited about being "assassinated" by these guys.^

Today on the Comic Con facebook page, they said that they had between 70,000-80,000 people attend yesterday alone! That makes it the largest convention of any kind in Utah history, and it's double what they had planned to come! And they expect next years to rival San Diego's comic con! Crazy!

Also, a HUGE thank you to my parents for taking my kids to the Zoo! You guys are awesome!!!

2 comments:

  1. gah, you are so lucky! So, could you see some of the famous people signing autographs and stuff, or where they kind of shielded from casual observance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, I'm so jealous. Also I didn't know/remember that you liked Highlander! I LOVED that growing up and have all of the seasons on DVD. It was weird this weekend seeing so many people I know in Utah going to Comic Con and then seeing Adrian Paul's fb post also about the same Comic Con. I kept expecting to see people I knew in the background of his pictures. There's a Comic Con in Dallas twice a year I think and I almost went to the one last October, but then I looked up the details and decided that, yes it was cheap to get in, but it cost SOOO much extra to actually get into any of the panels or to get an autograph or picture of some of the people that it maybe wasn't worth it. Now the baby is too little to leave for that long, but one of these times I'm going to make it there. ;)

    ReplyDelete