Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

2 months old!

This handsome, happy little guy turned 2 months old earlier this week!

We took him in for his 2 month check-up, and I was really surprised to learn that he's not as big as I thought he was.

He is 11lbs, 3oz (34th percentile)
he is 23 inches long (50th percentile)
and his head is surprisingly small at 38.2cm (12th percentile)

I was surprised that he was all in the lower range, since he was so stinking huge when he was born! He eats like crazy too, so I was expecting him to get really fat, but instead, he's just getting long!
His cheeks though. Seriously, those things get nibbled on all. day. long.

The doctor said he is healthy and happy though. It was our first time with the new pediatrician because our old one retired to go on an LDS mission (sniff. sniff. You will be missed Dr. J!) We liked this guy though, so we think we'll keep him.

I thought it was funny how he was telling us to make sure we do "tummy time" with DJ to strengthen his neck and shoulder muscles, and as he was telling us this, he flipped him onto his stomach. Then when DJ pushed himself up and looked around like it was no big deal, the doctor stopped mid-sentence and said "Oh, it looks like he's already got a really strong neck!"

Yup, the nurse even said that the day he was born!

He smiles all the time now. He especially loves smiling at Savannah. I don't know if it's just that he likes her voice the most, or if he likes the way she looks or what, but he LOVES to look and smile at her! 

He's found his voice too and coos and chats all day long, waiving and flailing his arms, grabbing at my hair or my necklaces or whatever is within reach. Ok, funny side-story. I was a church and an older lady came up to me and asked how he was doing. I said "he's doing great! He's chatting and talking a lot now!" meaning, he's cooing and making noises right? Then she stopped for a second and took a good look at him and asked how old he was. When I said 2 months, she replied "he's only 2 months and he can talk? That can't be right..." She thought I meant he was literally talking, not just making baby sounds. I got a good laugh out of it!

 ^Both Savannah and Deagan inherited Bryant's eyebrows!^

Like I said, this kid eats a TON. He must be like Savannah and have an extremely high metabolism because the kid should be a roley poley with how much he eats. But he also spits up a lot. I asked the doctor about that and he said that where he is gaining weight steadily, and as long as he doesn't seem in pain, like crying or arching his back afterwords, that he should be fine. And he said he will probably continue to spit up for another couple of months. When I feed him at night, I now place a blanket under his head when I feed him, because if I fall asleep while he's eating, and I don't sit him up, he spits up all over the bed, and I got tired of washing the sheets every day. So now I'm washing large bundles of burp cloths and receiving blankets. 



He also had a blocked tear-duct that made his eye really gross and goopy, but we got some eye drop antibiotics and it's seemed to have cleared it all up. 

He's gone back to sleeping pretty well at night. He sleeps in his bassinet in our room from about midnight until 7am. Then I bring him into bed with me and feed him, and he falls back asleep until about 9, when his dad leaves for work and his sister wakes up. I leave him in bed with me after he eats rather than put him back in the bassinet, because even though he wiggles and wiggles until I'm practically falling off the bed, I like those couple of hours where I can cuddle next to him. I don't get too many moments like that with Savannah any more, and I know someday DJ won't want to cuddle his mom very much either. 



We love having Deagan here with us. I already feel he is growing way too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment