Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

3 hours later...

Saturday, Bryant and I had the entire day off together.
This is something extremely rare. Not only is getting a day off together rare, but getting a Saturday off together is very far and few between. 

We started the day off right by sleeping in until almost 11! (thank you Savanaah!!!)
After that, we went to grab some lunch, and then met my parents up at IKEA. Bryant hates "window shopping" (seeing as we weren't planning on buying anything) but he knows that I love to look at furniture so he happily tagged along. (I know, it's weird but I really do. I always look through the IKEA magazine or website, and I love searching for furniture ideas on pinterest or walking through RC Willey and things like that.) (Also, remember when I won a living room set from RC Willey? Yeah, that was awesome!)

Anyways, it took us a grand total of 3 hours to get through all of IKEA. Mostly because we stopped at the little restaurant thing they have for dinner, and because Bryant and I decided to buy a table!

When we first got married, our apartment was set up different. We had our couch in what is now Savannah's room (which is more of a 3 walled space that's open to the kitchen, laundry and bathroom,) and we borrowed an old antique table from my parents and had that in the kitchen. But we found that the couch was just too big, even though it was a love seat, for that room. Our apartment was designed to have the kitchen and living room be one room, so we moved the couch and TV in the kitchen. But the table we had borrowed was too big to fit with the couch in the same room, so we moved that and the computer desk into the other room, where I mostly used the table for crafts.

Well, then Savannah came along and we needed a room for her. So we got rid of the big computer desk and my dad made us a smaller one to put in our bedroom. Then we gave the table back to my parents, so we were table-less. 

We usually don't make dinner for the 2 of us a lot because we are rarely home together, but when we did, we just had to just sit on the couch and use the footstool as a table. This drove me nuts. My dad bought us a little mini folding table to set drinks on and stuff, so that helped, but when you're trying to make a romantic meal, (and feel like you're 24 and NOT eating on the couch like you did in college) it was difficult. 

I especially hated that Bryant always turned on the TV. We had to each next to each other, rather than facing each other, and we had to share our meal time together with ESPN.

But as we were walking around IKEA, Bryant spotted a little tiny table. "Hey, this would work for our little kitchen!" he exclaimed. Just then, an employee came over and said "oh, and it can get bigger too!" and she proceeded to pull out two leaflets that slide out from under the top of the table! Genius! 

 (My new table and chairs! This is how it looks when it's extended.)

I guess that's why I like IKEA so much. All their stuff is designed for small European-style apartments or homes, which is exactly like how our little 500 square foot place is.

So, we were sold on the table. We also decided to buy two chairs to go with it! Then yesterday, I had Bryant put it all together and I decided to make lasagna and baguettes with olive oil, marinara sauce, cheese and diced tomatoes for dinner. When we sat down to eat at our new table, Bryant even turned off the TV. It was so nice! 




I can't wait for dinner tonight. On the menu: Parmesan breaded chicken with marinara sauce and cheese with salad (since I have left over cheese and marinara sauce from last night).

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment