Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

As big as a penguin

So last weekend we went to the zoo, so this weekend we went to the aquarium!

We woke up late after Savannah went to bed at 1:30am (3 hours after she normally does) and then had gotten up at 6:00 (3 hours before she normally does) and then crashed at 8:30, and then Bryant and I quickly followed suit. The 3 of us didn't get back up until 10:30! Since neither of us worked, and we missed the majority of church, Bryant then decided that he would take us somewhere as a surprise.

Just so everyone knows, he's terrible at giving clues.
In fact, here is a list of the ones he gave me:

1. You've wanted to go for a long time
2. It's blue
3. It has lots of glass
4. There is water
5. They may possibly have food there
6. You will like it.

My first guess was Ikea. My second was the aquarium.

So off we went to the aquarium!

 Bryant teaching his daughter about fish!
(Bryant is so smart when it comes to any animals. It's crazy how much he knows!)



It took me a long time to get a photo of this guy. He would hide every time I was about to press the button.

Of course Bryant had to pet a stingray (sorry, I'm not sure why all these photos turned out grainy)


The penguins were pretty awesome. We got there just before it was time to be fed. This is a bad photo, but you can kind of see the lady hand feeding all the penguins. I learned that these are the 3rd largest penguin species and that the largest one the aquarium has is 16lbs, which is what I estimate Savy to weigh at the moment (we will have an official weigh-in in a couple weeks) which means that Savy is as big as the 3rd largest penguin haha!



And a video for you all!

Probably my favorite thing at the aquarium was the octopus. I learned that because she has no bones, she could fit through a hole the size of a silver dollar! She was also extremely smart. One of the employees there was telling us that they like to put her food in a Mr. Potato head because she can take it apart, and one time, they put her food into an Easter egg, put that egg into a bigger egg, and that one into an even bigger one. At the end of the day, they noticed that the egg was still in tact, so they took it out of her tank, opened it up, and found that she had opened all three eggs, ate her food, placed a rock in there, then put them all back together! That's one smart octopus!


Eventually, Savy crashed. Check out her outfit, it's got seahorses and starfish on it and I dressed her in that before I even knew we were going to the aquarium! Go me!


I also surprisingly really liked the jellyfish. I've always had a slight fear of jellyfish, but these ones were really beautiful. Did you know they don't have brains? They are basically just a giant nervous system! (I learned that on animal planet, thank you very much!)

So I would say it was another successful weekend!




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these fascinating oceanic tidibts. I recently went to an estate that has a small penguin exhibit. During feeding time my friends and I went completely NUTS for the penguin, far more than the visiting school children did. In hindsight, it was kind of embarrassing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're grainy because it's too dark in there, and your camera is trying to compensate by making it lighter, resulting in grain. Mine does it all the time.
    In the second picture,someone's hand is up in the air behind the baby, and for a minute I thought it was her hair growing that way! The orange fish picture turned out good!
    Octupi are cool, but not as cool as bow ties.

    ReplyDelete