Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

                                   

I know I said I wasn't going to post again until we got back from our vacation, because its hard to post from the iPad, but I'll try to make this short. Yesterday, we had a really wonderful Independence Day. I spent a lot of time thinking about those who have served our country, both here at home, and abroad. I thought a lot about my own family. 

I thought about my Grandpa who is a retired Police Chief and all the work he did for his community. I thought about all the stories he told us, did you know he was shot through a door, and it only left a bruise? Let me repeat that: he was SHOT through a door, (yes, with a gun!) and it only left a bruise! He was always very respected, and he did a lot for the city. At my preschool graduation, we all drew pictures of what we wanted to be when we grew up, I drew a picture of a police officer.

I thought about my grandma who serves those in need of help. She has always asked us to gather clothing to take down to Mexico when she would visit my great-grandpa, and she is so welcoming of people into her home. I've brought many friends into her home and they always leave feeling like family. She has a great mothering instinct and takes care of so many people, friends and family alike.  

Then I thought about my grandpa who passed away last year. He served during the Korean War, and was a volunteer firefighter. He didn't like to talk much, but he loved to take me aside and show me his photo albums from when he served, telling me stories from his time spent overseas. Those memories meant a lot to him, and in turn, they meant a lot to me. I feel a lot of pride when I think about him and his service for this country.

Then I thought about my grandma who passed away a few years ago. She was an example of service in the church. She always took care of her neighbors and was always willing to drive them to the temple to do service there. I keep one of her handkerchiefs used for temple dedications in my pocket when I go to the temple to remind me of her service to The Lord.

And I've thought a lot about my Great-Grandpa this week. He passed away the night before we left for California, and my family went down to Arizona for his funeral. I had a tough time deciding if I should cancel plans for California and go with them. But I decided that I needed to be out here, and continue with our plans to bless Deagan out here. I'm sad that I am missing my great-grandpas funeral, but I have to keep telling myself that funerals are to celebrate the life of those we love, and to remember them. And I will always remember my great- grandpa. He was an amazing humanitarian, who cared so much for others. He grew up in Mexico, where he served as a school teacher. When he moved to Utah, he helped to build many of the church buildings in Utah County. When he moved to Arizona, he lived right on the border of Mexico, and he started a community center that benefited low income families, and migrant workers. The center grew into 3 centers, and my grandpa never made a dime off of them. He made his living owning a very small and meager goat farm. When he was interviewed about his work, he said he planned to work until he was 90, and then he would think about retiring. And he did just that! He lived an incredible 96 years, and his life was filled with service. I really look up to him, and have my whole life. 

As I thought abut these great people in my life and about this great country of ours on her birthday, I realized that this country has been through a lot in its short life. She's got a few battle scars, many bumps, bruises and cuts, but this country of ours continues to stand tall over and over again. And I came to the realization that its ultimately because of community, and people like my grandparents. There is a lot of bad in this world, and there always will be. No matter how many Miss America contestants wish for world peace, that reality is going to be tough to achieve. But there are so many good people in this world. And I think that no matter how hard we as Americans are struggling right now with all of the changes, good or bad, that are happening in our country right now, as long as there are people out there who continue to serve, that we will bounce back, just like we always do. It seems to me that when tragedy strikes, we as Americans feel this surge in patriotism, and a sense of community that's unbreakable. We may disagree on politics, but we all just want what's best for this great country that we call home. 

I still very much believe in the idea of the American Dream, and I have a good foundation of great examples of that ideal in my own family tree. They put others first, and led and lead happy lives because of it. 

Happy Birthday America, you tough old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment