Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

My happy life

Today, despite this cold that's still hanging around, I needed to go get my car registered and the oil changed. Maybe it's just me, but every time I go alone to any place to get my oil changed, they always try to tell me I need about a million and 1 things for my car, that I don't in fact actually need. But I've found that when I bring Bryant or my dad along, they don't badger me as much. So since Bryant had to work today, I asked my dad to come along.

Anyways, as we were being rung up for the oil change, the guy was trying to upsell us on the best quality stuff, and a few other items. Like 26 dollar windshield wipers and such. I actually do need windshield wipers, but I'll buy the 15 dollar ones from walmart thank-you-very-much.

When I told him no-thanks, he tried to talk the price down 6 dollars. I still said no. When he tried to convince us to buy the most expensive oil, my dad said "It's alright, she's trading her car in next month, so just the conventional oil is fine." 

This is partly true. I am planning on trading in one of our cars sometime in the near future to get something bigger for our growing family, like (gulp!) a minivan. But not next month. My dad just said that to get the guy off our backs (smart thinking dad!)

Anyways, as we were walking out, the guy asked what kind of car I wanted to trade in for. I told him a minivan (I NEVER thought I'd ever actually want a minivan in my life. Now look at me!) because I needed more space for my kids. When he asked how many kids I had, I told him 2.

That felt really weird. It felt weird to say that I have two kids. TWO KIDS! I am a mom to two littles. 

The other night, my parents babysat for us while Bryant and I saw a movie, and afterwords, I said to Bryant "I hope our kids were ok for my parents". Kids. Plural. That's when I first realized how weird it was to say. 

I never really imagined that this is where my life would be. A life where I went and spent 75 dollars on diapers. A life where I cornered a lady at costco asking her where she got her double stroller from. A life where I was peering into a mini van in a parking lot because I wanted to see if it was something I would be interested in buying. A life where I would even want a mini van! A life where I sometimes sneak handfuls of my toddler's snacks during church because I didn't eat breakfast. A life where I purposely bought a smudge-proof refrigerator, and wouldn't you know it, it still has smudgy little hand prints on it from a certain 2 year old who thinks she's a pirate pixie.

I also never imagined that I would be this happy. Even though it's 11:30pm, and I just made myself pancakes for dinner, and I have spit-up all over my shirt, and my daughter just barely went to bed after telling me that she needed a "space rocket" right. this. second. And asked me to sing the "choo choo train song" for the millionth time. And even though I am so tired. And I still have a cold, but I'm not allowed sick-days in bed watching re-runs of Law and Order all day anymore. 

I am so, so happy. Because I have a little girl who wants to be a pirate and who believes in
pixie dust and that she can fly in a rocket ship. And I have a little boy who is so content to just be held in my arms all day and who is beginning to give me little half smiles and stares at me with his big beautiful blue eyes, and he gives me that concerned look that makes me think that he just wants to tell me something so badly.

I have two beautiful kids. And I am one lucky mama. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment