Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

One Week

Yesterday marked 1 week since I had my little boy!
This makes me really sad. Life was going in double time with Savannah, and now triple time with the 2 of them!

Our first week home was perfect. We got home Wednesday and Bryant stayed home from work. On Thursday, we took little Deagan to get his billiruben levels tested because he is jaundiced. They had gone up from an 11 to a 15.5. When we got home, my dad was cleaning up Savannah who had just thrown up all over the couch. I felt so bad. For my dad, and for my little princess. Bryant didn't want to go to work and leave me with a new baby and a sick toddler, but I told him to go because I had my dad there and my mom was getting off work a little early to come spend the day with me. When my mom arrived, she snuggled Savannah all afternoon while my dad did some yard work for me.



(I hate when she's sick! I feel so bad!)

Friday, my dad came back over so I could take DJ back to the hospital to be tested again. His levels went up again, but only to a 15.8, which wasn't a significant jump, and the nurse said that where he is having regular diapers and is eating well, that he didn't need to come back in again (hallelujah!) 

Saturday was my first day all on my own with both kids, and it went a lot smoother than I expected. Savannah was back to feeling 100% and I was feeling much better too. But we still just spent the day being lazy and watching a lot of TV and reading lots of books. That night, I left Bryant alone with the kids and took my sister out to dinner and to do some shopping. It was so nice getting out for a bit.

Sunday was our laziest day. Bryant took Savannah to church and I stayed home with DJ. When they got home, DJ and I continued to stay in bed almost the entire day. 

Today, I made it a goal to get back to life as usual, which means I get to catch up on all the cleaning that I didn't bother to do this past week. But I didn't get very far. I did 1 load of dishes and 2 loads of laundry, and I cleaned the living room about 10 times, but it never ever stays clean. Ever... And I went to the grocery store.

Deagan has been such an easy baby, just like his sister was. I'm so lucky to have easy-going babies! He sleeps really well, usually giving us 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. He sleeps worse if he's alone in his bassinet, so he usually ends up next to me for most of the night. Savannah co-slept for 6 months, I don't plan on allowing Deagan to go that long.


He eats like a champ! (and a little piggy) Savannah and I spent many a long day and night fighting over breastfeeding. It took us a long time to get the hang of it. Part of it was her jaundice was so bad that eating exhausted her, and I was constantly trying to keep her awake, and because of that, my milk supply was very low, and it took a lot longer to come in. With DJ, he took to it like a pro and eats really well. During the day, he eats about every hour and a half, and at night, he can go up to 4 hours between meals. I'll be interested to see how much weight he's gained when we go to his doctors appointment next week.

Savannah isn't sure how to handle a baby brother yet. She really loves him, but she's also not happy that he takes up some of the attention from her. She always worries about him when he cries. She will come and rub his arms and legs, and say "don't worry baby, don't worry". She also thinks his pacifier is pretty cool, and is constantly trying to shove it in his mouth while saying "open mouth baby! Say ahhhhh". The first thing she asked yesterday morning when Bryant got her out of her crib was if she could hold the baby. I have to keep an eye on her because I've found him with stickers all over his head, and Savannah's "pixie dust" around his neck (A.K.A a carrot shaped necklace with bubbles in it she got for Easter. She's a little obsessed with all things Peter Pan these days. Pirates, Tinker Bell, that show Jake and the Neverland Pirates, you name it!)

On the other hand, if I'm feeding him, she will tell me to put him down and throws a fit if I don't. Today, she kept asking me to put him down and go play with her in her room. She never asks me to come play in her room. In fact, she usually shuts the door and won't let me in her room, like some teenage girl.

I knew there would be a bit of jealousy, but I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. It will take a little while for life to balance out and for us to get a new routine. Pretty soon she will realize that the baby is someone who will always be around and she will get used to him. She will especially love him when she can play with him.



I'm feeling really great too. My recovery for this baby was so much faster than with Savannah. I'm at about 98% right now. My back is still a little sore, and I feel like the muscles in my stomach and legs feel weird now that they are adjusting from suddenly not having to carry around a 9lb bowling ball all day, every day. It's amazing how good I feel now that I'm not pregnant. Things are so much easier. I can breath easier, I have no heartburn, no charlie horses, no cramps in my hips (weirdest. feeling. ever) I sleep more comfortably, which, even though I'm still getting up a few times a night, just being able to rest well when I DO sleep makes a huge difference! I went out for a short walk and was just amazed at how easy it was! My whole body didn't hurt with each step. I can't wait until I get the OK to start exercising. Even though I hate exercising more than pretty much everything else on this planet, I'll just be happy that I can get out and move again!

Anyways, It's late, both my babies are asleep and I should be too.
Goodnight world.

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear everythings going well! My little toddlers couldn't handle the baby crying; more than once the baby would stop suddenly, and I'd go to find that whoever was the two year old at the time had put a blanket on their face! Definitely a little scary.

    ReplyDelete