Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Day at the Doctors

I have been dreading today for 2 weeks.
Today was the day I took Savy and DJ into the pediatrician.
Deagan had his first, 2 week checkup, PKU test, and well...ahem... another thing (I cried a bit, he didn't, and I couldn't watch. That's all I'm going to say about that...)

Savannah missed her 2 year check-up because I was still dealing with her insurance (it took me over 6 months to get sorted out! Geeze!) and I had to cancel her appointment
I had made around her birthday. When I finally got her card, I was so close to having the baby, I decided I would just make an appointment for the both of them. She was behind 4 immunizations, so we did 3 today, and we will do the last one at DJ's next appointment. Then no more immunizations for her until kindergarten! Hooray!!!

I am the luckiest mom alive. My kids are super healthy, and Savannah always has been. Seriously, the blessing of having healthy kids is not lost on me. I'm grateful every day for that fact.

So, onto their stats! I always like writing these on this blog because I tend to lose the little papers they give me...

Savannah:
She is 2 years and 2 1/2 months old
She is 26lbs 8.5oz (36%)
She is 36 inches long (81%)
And her head is 48.5cm (68%)

The nurse measured her and left the room to go enter in all her stats. She came back in, and said she needed to re-measure the markings she made on the paper, because the computer was showing that she was in the 80-90th percentile, and she felt that seemed a bit too tall. She left again, then came back in 5 minutes later and asked to just re-measure Savannah all over again. And well, she's just plain tall. And very thin. With a slightly big head.

Savannah did really well. She was excited to see the doctor and as soon as he walked in she said "you check my ears? My eyes? My tummy?". She apparently remembered the doctor, because all this past week, she was running around with our thermometer and checking DJ's temperature for him, telling me she was "doing a check-up". When the doctor looked in her ears, she said "I have pixie dust in my ear". Then pretended to take some out, and threw it at the doctor, then the nurse yelling "pixie dust awaaaaayyyy!"

The doctor said he was very impressed with her language, and loved her energy and personality. My only concern I brought up with him was how picky she is when she eats, and how little she eats most days. He told me not to worry, and that if she was just a grazer, that that was fine and that she would know what her body needs. That made me feel a whole lot better. 

She was a champ about getting 3 shots today. Her daddy held her hand and she cried a bit, and then just snuggled her dad for the rest of the appointment. She was pretty excited about her band-aids though and she was showing them off to her grandparents when we got home.

Deagan:
He is 2 weeks old
He weighs 8lbs, 15.5 oz (59% and just half an ounce below birth weight!)
He is 21.75 inches long (85%)
His head is 35.5cm (21%)

So when we left the hospital, he was down to 8lbs 8oz, and he has gained a half pound to be back at his birth weight, and he grew over 3 inches! Sheesh kid! Stop growing so fast!

He did really great too. My poor little mama heart had a tough time with all he had to go through today, but he dealt with it all like a champ. At first, I didn't even think I could handle being in the room with him, but once we were in there, I thought "nope, I'm staying and I'm holding his hand because I'm his Mom!" So I sat there holding his hand, and keeping my eyes on his the whole time. He didn't even cry! What a stud! (well, he cried for just a sec when they did his PKU testing.)

I was really sad to hear that our pediatrician is retiring. He got a mission call to Chile. When I heard that, all I could think was "But... but... you have to stay! You're the best pediatrician!" He recommended a new pediatrician for us, who is in the same office. I trust his judgement, so I made DJ's next appointment with the new doctor. I am really happy for our doctor. The people in Chile are getting a really nice and considerate man down there! I like him because I never feel rushed through our appointment, like I have with other doctors. He really takes the time to listen to all of your questions and concerns, and always gives good advice, and he knows how to keep kids happy and not worried. He will be missed by the Stokes Family!

Anyways, I'm just glad today is over. Savannah said her legs hurt a little bit tonight, so she snuggled up with her grandma and we put a heating pad on her legs. Deagan has been exhausted and has been asleep almost the entire day, which I'm grateful for. I think tomorrow will be a little rough, but he will be ok. 

Again, I'm just so thankful for healthy kids!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I had to go with George when he had that other thing done...(our other boys had it done at the hospital so it seemed like no big deal). This time they asked if I wanted to go and I said I'd stay in the room...so they took him and I could hear him screaming from across the way in whatever room they took him to. It was the saddest thing ever. I almost got up to go find him but told myself I would probably just be in the way at that point. She said (the pediatrician) she could tell I was old school at this because I was just shrugging it off whereas the first time moms were crying their eyes out...she didn't see me when she was in the other room, so I let her just go ahead and think I was a tough old hat mom.

    ReplyDelete