Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ace's day out

This week is Strawberry Days in my hometown.
EVERYONE loves strawberry days!


Today was the children's parade down by the high school. We have been going to this for years. All of my family, myself included has been in it at one point or another. All of the stakes in the town have all of their primary kids come and participate, and there is usually a theme that the kids can dress up along with (pioneers, cowboys, heroes etc) and this year they were supposed to dress up as what they wanted to be when they grew up. My little sister Sage went as a Paleontologist. Most kids were policemen, firemen, or batman and she chose a paleontologist. (She's a smart kid and LOVES math and biology, which makes her a weird and super cool 11 year old) She was all dressed up in my button down cowgirl shirt and a sunhat, complete with a rock and a brush.

She was super adorable!

I went with my dad to watch and I decided to take Ace with us. I take him for walks and I've thrown him in the car to run errands and such, but other than the few people who we come across on our walks and the neighbor kids that come over to play in our backyard, Ace really hasn't been around a huge group of people. So this was going to be interesting.

He did really well for the first little bit. He was really curious and really excited. He would go up and sniff at people but as soon as someone went to pet him he would flinch and hide behind me.
There were a few kids that he would allow a full on petting episode, and for some reason, he wanted to lick all of there feet, which made the kids squeal and laugh.

Once we got settled onto a lawn and the kids started down the street, he would act like he was really excited and ready to play, but after a couple of minutes, he would come and sit on my lap (all 57+ pounds of him!) like he was being shy. The only time I had a problem with him is when a little itty bitty dog walked by in the parade and Ace started jumping in the air like he was a circus dog and nearly ripped my arm out of it's socket with the leash.

I'm still debating if I want to take him to the big parade Saturday. Probably not seeing as there will be horses and a ton of other dogs. I think I'll assimilate him into society slowly. Next time, maybe just a picnic in the park on a puppy play date or something.

Another huge problem with the parade was the WIND! It was crazy!!! On the news they said that in some areas in Utah it was over 75 miles an hour. That's hurricane speeds people!


This is the aftermath of the wind and my hair. (I think I look a bit crazy in this photo. And tired, which I'm am. Sorry!)


Also, notice I have no makeup either. That's thanks to dust and dirt being blown into my eyes, plus allergies going berzerk which caused a lot of eye-rubbing all day.

It was exhausting trying to hold on to Ace in all of the excitement and battling the wind, but it was really fun. I love strawberry days...

1 comment:

  1. I miss strawberry days so much! It's been like 4 years since I've been... oh my!

    ReplyDelete