Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Grandma Bushell

Today was such a hard day. After a year and a half long battle with cancer, my Grandma Bushell (mom's side) passed away last Thursday and her funeral was today. We woke up really early (6:30) to make it down to the church by 8:30 where there was a viewing until 10:30. She looked so beautiful. Usually I can't handle viewings. I don't like to see people pale and cold. It just makes me sad. But my grandma looked so peaceful. She looked like she was literally just sleeping.

The Funeral was at 11:00 in the same church that the viewing was in. My mom gave a talk and she did so good. My cousin Heather and my two aunts, Pauline and Kris also talked. The only thing I like about funerals is that everyone always talks about how great the person was. My Grandma was such a great person. Every talk mentioned how much she enjoyed service. She never came first in anything. My Grandpa was a firefighter when my mom was little and anytime a house caught on fire, my grandma would be out, no matter how early in the morning or how late at night, collecting things that the family would need. My mom talked about how she remembers many times carting along as my grandma went to visit neighbors or family members who just needed a person to talk to or to bring them dinner. She made everyone feel so important.

Another thing I remember about my grandma was how much she cared for animals. At the cabin, she used to make sure there was food for the squirrels, and one pot gut always came around for a snack. My grandma fed him so much and he got so fat, that when he would climb up on the table to eat, he would just lay there all day, earning the name "Lazy Larry".

I remember at her old house in Orem, there was a little garden snake that lived in her back yard. She named him "Sneaky Snake". When they moved to Mt. Pleasant, she was so worried about Sneaky being killed by the new owners, that her and I found him and moved him to a big field a few blocks away. I remember I cried the day we had to leave Sneaky.

That was Grandma, worrying about everyone and everything.

After the funeral, we had lunch (which I didn't really eat cause I have been super sick to my stomach for a week now, bleh) and then headed down to Provo Cemetary. Her plot was in a very beautiful spot and it was perfect because the weather was sunny and warm and the leaves were changing color and falling. It was awesome because the weather stayed warm and beautiful enough just long enough for the service. She would have loved it.

When we got home I was pretty tired (funerals are exhausting I have decided) and I was still sick (mostly from the car ride). I was hungary because I didn't really eat lunch, but when I made mac and cheese I over cooked it and it was like Mashed noodles. I really did not have the energy to make anything else, and I was on the verge of a melt down. But I have the most amazing husband in the whole world and he came to my rescue! He rushed to taco amigo and then went to the grocery store to buy me stuff to make chocolate chip cookies. See? He's the best... And I got the whole taco down!

Today was really tough, but it's good to know that my grandma is no longer in pain. She's back with her parents and she told me that she was going to make sure that my future kids aren't causing havoc and annoying the big guy up there. She will be missed, but I know she's up there, giving my kids a big hug right now (and maybe a stern-talking to if they are anything like bryant).

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Brooke. She sounds like a wonderful person. Your husband is sweet. Getting you chocolate chip cookies and tacos. I'm sorry you've been having a tough day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing a tribute and your thoughts on the funeral. She would have loved it. She really was the best person I know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete