Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Getting Ready

It's finally hit. That "nesting" bug has finally bitten me I think.

When I was pregnant with Savannah, I was nesting months before she was even due. I remember making Bryant set up the crib like 3 months before her due-date, and he was not happy about it. He kept saying "We have plenty of time! It doesn't make sense to set it all up now." (he reminds me of Spock, always the one to do the most logical thing...) But he just didn't understand. I needed her room completely ready! I had all her clothes washed, organized by size, and put away in her drawers weeks and weeks before she arrived. Looking back now, I find this all so silly. Savy didn't even sleep in her crib until she was 6 months old! 

This time around was different. I already felt pretty prepared. I have a car seat for him, I have a bassinet (well, and pack-n-play) ready and waiting, I have a baby bathtub, a baby swing, all of that. And the things I don't have, I wasn't really feeling pressed to get right away.

We have decided to move Savannah into the larger room eventually, but that room is currently a storage/playroom. It used to be my brother's and he had decorated it like a lodge, so it's painted brown and has barbed-wire around the walls, posters of deer and horses, some sheds, and duck feathers still in there. And our plan is to re-paint it all a nice peachy color, mostly to brighten it up because the brown is so dark and the room doesn't get a lot of light. And then we are going to paint her old room, which is currently a pink-purple color more of a gray-blue color (this room gets tons of light, so I'm ok doing it a little darker) with white trim for our baby boy. Bryant keeps asking if I want to get both these rooms done before the baby comes, but I just don't want to have to take on a huge project during these last 6 weeks of pregnancy. Whereas if this was my last pregnancy, I would be frantically trying to get these two rooms done and ready, I know now that it's not a priority. I know that the baby will be in our room for at least a couple of months, and Bryant's brother is coming to live with us for a little over a month, and he will be staying in that spare room, and I don't want to make him deal with us trying to move Savannah in there, and a big old mess right away. 

I'm ok with waiting to re-do these rooms after the baby comes. 

But still, there were a few things I realized I needed and was starting to feel that panicky I-have-to-get-this-done-right-now feeling I get with nesting. Mostly I needed clothes for this little boy. I had a couple of outfits for him, but not enough to get us through the first week. I kept telling Bryant I needed to go clothes shopping and once again, he'd say "we have plenty of time, we don't need to do it right now". He just doesn't understand...

But then, a couple of weeks ago, I was at the park with Savannah and got talking to another mom. She said her water broke with her 2nd baby 8 weeks early. I started to panic again. What if my water broke early, and I didn't have any clothes for this kid?

So I told Bryant again that I really needed to go shopping. He told me we should wait a few more weeks, or that I should have a baby shower (I didn't like this idea, since I already have all the major stuff for a baby. I didn't want to make people feel obligated to bring a present)

I decided I wasn't going to wait. On my way home from school one day, I stopped at babies-r-us and bought a few outfits. Enough to at least get us through the first week. 

But then Bryant totally surprised me. He came home from work that same night and said "don't get mad, but I just spent a ton of money". Thinking he had bought some video game or something, I just said "well, on what?" and he pulled a big bag from behind his back. It was completely full of baby clothes! He even bought Savannah a new dress! I was honestly so surprised! 

That boy is such a sweetheart.
 
So now I feel so much more prepared! The only things I think I need for this baby now are some receiving blankets, and we will be set. Oh, and I need to pull out the car seat, the baby bath, and the baby swing from the basement and get them all cleaned up. And I have begun making a list of stuff to pack for the hospital, and a "sleep-over" bag for Savannah (oh, hey mom and dad, I forgot to ask, but is it ok if Savannah sleeps over at your guy's place while we are in the hospital??)

We do need a double stroller, but where I won't be leaving the house with 2 kids for a few weeks after he is born, I can order one when he gets here. We also need a new crib for him because the one we are using is falling apart. Not to mention its a drop-side which makes me nervous. But, like I said, he will be with Bryant and I for the first few months anyways. 

The only thing that's still really stressing me out, is trying to get insurance for the baby. I'm still on my parent's insurance, and I can't add him onto it, and Bryant's work doesn't offer health insurance. The program we are trying to go through is giving us the run-around and making it really difficult. They keep adding more and more things we need to send in. Most of it is information we have already given them, but they want it again. But, I have confidence that we will get it sorted out. 

As for the cleaning part of nesting? That's coming along. Every now and then, I get the sudden urge to clean, but it doesn't last long. Like this afternoon, Bryant got off work and I asked him to keep Savannah entertained while I got some serious cleaning around the house done. I got both of the bathrooms completely clean and I kept thinking "after I'm done with the bathrooms, I'm going to do the dishes, mop my floors, and clean up my bedroom."

Yeah... didn't happen. 
Once I finished scrubbing the bathtubs, I went and sat on the couch and made Bryant go unload the dishwasher, and then I had absolutely no desire to do anything except watch some TV.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to it all. Maybe...

Anyways, we are just about 6 weeks away from meeting this little munchkin. In 2 weeks, I'll start my once a week appointments! Ahhh! I am almost done with school, and that will be a HUGE relief! Today was my last official day of class, and then I have 2 assignments due Sunday, A final paper due Monday, and then 3 more assignments due Thursday. Then I just get to enjoy my Brother's wedding, my anniversary, and then baby boy will be here! Also, we are planning on blessing the baby in Mt. Shasta over the 4th of July like we did with Savannah, I can't wait! 

So that's:

Finals
Wedding
Anniversary
Baby
Vacation/Blessing

all in the next 2 1/2 months. I can't wait!!!


(My favorite boy, my favorite girl, and my favorite mountain, July 4th, 2011)

1 comment:

  1. I get the same panicky "I have to get this done RIGHT NOW" feeling for nesting. It's really not fun. I would be feeling that way about painting the rooms if it were me, but I always seem to need to finish up some huge re-decorating project when I'm pregnant. This time we painted the outside of the house and I painted both of the hallways last week. I only have 9 days left, but I'm still hoping to get the trim in the halls painted. I think it's totally fine to have a baby shower for a new gender baby. I would just have it be a clothes and diapers shower so people don't think they need to get you all of that other stuff. We're lucky in that we got a TON of boy clothes from various relatives that already had boys so I didn't have to buy much. I think I might freak out if I felt like I had to personally supply the baby's entire wardrobe. You might mention to my mom that you need a receiving blanket, that's kind of her thing that she does for people with new babies so maybe she'll make you one. (She crochets a border around a felt blanket. It's simple but nice because they're bigger than the ones you buy at the store and are easier to swaddle the baby in if you're into that). I would totally be stressing about the insurance too, I hate all of that stuff. You could always apply for emergency medicaid or chips if for some reason the insurance doesn't go through. You probably qualify... Good Luck with everything! :)

    ReplyDelete