Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Some inspiration and encouragement

It's been a crazy two weeks with finals. I'm still waiting for 3 people in my group to finish their work and send it to me. It's due tomorrow and I'm trying so hard not to get panicky and stressed that it won't be done in time. I've been feeling kind of sick. Not like a cold or anything, just generally worn down and well, just that icky sick feeling you sometimes get. I get like this when I worry. It's true that stress does affect you physically. 

But there is a light at the end of this week. I was asked to go to breakfast with my visiting teacher on Friday. She's so wonderful and nice, I can't wait! Then Saturday, we are having a "Sage Designs company Christmas party" AKA dinner with my family :-) Sunday we will spend the evening with my family and then Monday will be spent packing and cleaning for our trip to California bright and early Tuesday morning! I've just go to get past 2:00pm tomorrow and all this stress will be gone!

But I have a few things I want to share that have brightened my days these last few weeks, and I hope they can make you smile if you are experiencing similar stress in your life!


This is a video my mom shared on Facebook a while ago. I know probably a lot of you have already seen it, but I've watched it several times and I smile (and possibly get a little teary-eyed) every time I watch it. 



Guys, there are a lot of good people out there. What a great reminder of that during this holiday season!

Then, my dad posted this video a few days later. It's part of a speech given by the philosopher Alan Watts. I think this speaks to us young adults who are in college right now, trying to decide where we want to go after graduation. But remember, it's NEVER to late to do what will truly make you happy. 


Recently, I over-heard two women talking about their kids who were just finishing their first semester at college. One woman asked the other what their son was majoring in, she said "I think he wants to go into computer programming. Something that there is a large job market for." When that women asked the other the same question about her daughter, she replied "Ugh, well right now she's going into art. Hopefully when she comes to her senses and realize that you can't really do anything with art, she will switch her major..."

I felt kind of sad when I heard this. All I could think about was what my parents would have said if I came home from college my first year, and proclaimed that I wanted to be an artist. Both of them would have been happy for me, and helped me in any way they could to help me reach my goal.

What I really liked about this video is the part where he says that if you work hard at what you love and you truly enjoy it, you will become a master at it. That girl could be the next big thing to hit the art world, she just needs the support behind her, especially if it's tough those first few years. 

I also liked where he talks about it being a cycle. That we raise our children to believe that money will make them happy. I hope to raise my kids to believe that doing what they are passionate about will make them happy. Whether that's art, or computer programming. I want to give them those opportunities to explore many different things in life, and make it the very best for them that I can. That's what I want to do with my life, and I plan on becoming a master at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment