Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

20 and 1/2 months!

It's been a really long time since I have done an update on Savannah, she's growing so fast!

We finally made it to the doctors. We had missed a few check-ups and 7 immunizations, so we had to play catch-up. I had them only do 4 shots. I didn't want to be mean and have her poor legs poked 7 times. We will go in for the rest probably next month.


 (can you spot the bruise on her forehead? She got it from jumping into another kid during nursery)

My little munchkin is, as always, very healthy. I'm so grateful for this! We have never had to deal with anything worse than a cold (and that awful stomach flu we all got a couple of months ago!).

She weighs 24lbs, 6 oz (35th percentile)
She is 32 Inches tall (32nd percentile)
and her head is 47.7cm (70th percentile)

I wasn't surprised about her weight, since she's always been a skinny kid, but I was surprised about her height. She almost always was in the 50-75th percentile for height and I thought she was still fairly tall for her age. Even just today, I was at the store and the cashier asked how old she was. When I told her 20 months, she said "oh wow, she is really tall isn't she?". I just chuckled and agreed. 
 
I wasn't surprised about how big her head was though. She's always measured in the 70's for head circumference. And if you want to know how big her head really is, just ask my dad about her "head getting stuck in the plastic loom" incident that took place the other day. I'm still laughing about it!

 (Her favorite spot is on top of the couch where she can people-watch. Bryant gets mad when I let her do this because he thinks she will do it with a couch that's not against the wall and fall, so I only let her do it when he's not home. Shhhh, don't tell him! And don't worry, I'm ALWAYS on the couch with her the whole time. Just to be safe.)

She did really well during the appointment. When the doctor walked in, she was laying on his stool and spinning on it. When I asked her to get off so he could sit there, he told me to keep letting her do it, and that he thought it was a good thing that she was having so much fun. When it came time for the exam, she was sitting on my lap. When he put on the blue latex gloves, she got a little nervous, not knowing what they were, so he let her touch them and told her they were like balloons. We had brought her Mickey Mouse with us, and he did an exam on Mickey first. Showing her exactly what he was going to do and what all the instruments were for. She thought that was really funny and totally relaxed afterwards. But poor Mickey, the doctor said his nose was a little stuffy...


(Wearing uncle Sawyer's boots!)

She is learning more and more words every day. I think a lot of people don't realize it, but it's probably because I can understand the words she's saying better than someone who doesn't know her, or rarely sees her can. But trust me, she's probably got upwards of 100 words in her vocabulary. She is also able to put words together like:

"Please mommy" (peas mommy)
"I love you" (I yuh-you)
"I love you more" (I yuh-you more)
"I sorry" (I sawee)
"It's ok" (it kay)
"Are you Ok?" (you kay?)
"it's a baby!" (issa beebee!)
"Little baby" (leetle beebee)
"Where did he go?" (where go?)
"Come in!" (comemim!)
"Who is it? ("Who sit?)
"It's a mess!" (issa mess!)

(She suddenly decided that she likes hats, and requests them whenever we leave the house)

The other night we were watching Superman, and at the beginning when baby superman is in the space ship star thing, coming towards earth, Savannah got really upset and kept saying "Mommy, uh oh, babay falling! Baby falling! Uh oh!" Even though it made her really upset and she began to cry, I couldn't help but be very impressed with her sentence!

That's another thing I really like about Savannah is her compassion. She worries about the well-being of others. This morning, we went to Kneaders for breakfast, and a kid in line behind us was sitting on the floor. Savannah kept asking him if he was ok. Then, we were eating breakfast, and my friend's little boy had food on his face, Savannah tried to hand him a napkin telling him he was messy.

(Cowboy hat and snowmen jammies!)

She's very clean for a toddler. Even though she likes to make messes, she doesn't like to get too dirty or messy. She likes to have a napkin while she eats, she will ask to wash her hands if they get messy, and if she walks into a messy room, she disapprovingly tells us it's messy and that "I keen" (I clean). She knows where the dish rags are and will randomly get them out and wipe the floors or the walls. It's great because I never have to dust, I can just let her do it!

I have been debating on whether or not to start potty training her. I was planning on waiting until she was at least 2, but we have had some diaper incidents in the last couple of weeks that make me think she's ready to at least start trying.

If she wakes up in the morning and I don't get in there to take her out of her crib as soon as possible, she takes her jammies off, and then takes her diaper off. I can't tell you how many times a week I have to wash her sheets. If I DO manage to get in there while she is still clothed, she promptly asks me for a "piper" (diaper), and pats her bum.

(She LOVES to read books! Also, her hair is finally long enough to do pigtails!)

A few times, she's even walked into her room, grabbed a diaper, handed it to me, and laid down to be changed. Once, she asked for a diaper and when I checked her, she was clean and dry. 5 minutes later, she handed me a diaper and when I checked her again, she had a messy diaper.

Ug, I'm not looking foreword to potty training. Although it will be nice not to have to worry about running out of them if we are out and about. Plus, it would save me some money before I have to start buying them for the next baby! Bryant and I talked about it and decided that we will start introducing her to the potty after Christmas.

(She likes to sleep with her stuffed animals. Most nights, she kicks off her blanket, and just piles her animals on top of her.)

She is still a huge Sesame Street fan, but she has also discovered Blues Clues. For a while, anytime she went in her room she would yell "It's a clue! It's a clue!". It took me a while to realize that she meant the picture frame with her hand print in it! She also really likes Despicable Me. She would watch that movie 10 times a day if I let her. I can't wait until the 2nd one comes out and I can take her to the theater to see it!

She has been loving nursery. And she's learning a lot too. Every morning, we sit on my bed, and she forces me to fold my arms, and then we say our prayers together. Sometimes, she makes me say our prayers over and over and over. You can never pray too much right? I have to laugh every time we read books now, because when it's over, she yells "Amen!"

She loves to sing songs, or rather, she likes to make YOU sing songs. Her favorite is Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree.

I can't believe she will be 2 in just a few months! I have been trying to soak up every bit of one-on-one time with her, because in just 6 months, we won't get that as often as I would like.
But she is going to be such a good big sister. She will love having someone to play with all the time. I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment