Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Pretty sure I was sick last valentines day too...

(my "sick" survival kit. Water, tums, tissues, puke bowl, throat lozenges, my nook, and cold medicine)

All weekend long I've been sick. This is probably my 3rd or 4th time being sick while pregnant. You see, when I was 19, I caught a bad case of pneumonia that had me literally drowning in my own body. I was in the hospital for a week and then at home in bed with a PIC line hanging out my arm and a stash full of IV's in the fridge for a month. Afterwords, the pulmonologist told me she thought I wasn't going to make it and was happy to see I was perking up.

She also told me that the pneumonia had wrecked havoc on my immune system, and that it would take years before it got back to normal, meaning I would get sick often. Then, as most anyone who has been pregnant knows, when you are preggo, your body shuts its immune system down, this is to prevent your body from seeing your baby as a foreign object (it is a parasite after all...) and ejecting it.

So what little immunity towards diseases I was slowly gaining with each cold, got tossed out the window when I became pregnant.

Anyways, I was feeling better Saturday, just a little stuffy, but the "Phantom of the Opera" was playing at my old high school and I really wanted to go. My brother told me that people were already lining up at 10:00 for the 2:00 matinee, so we rushed on down there. The line started inside, but one guy told us there was no more room (even though there was plenty) and that we needed to stand outside. In the cold. Obviously, there was no sympathy for a pregnant, sick woman and her little brother. So we waited outside, in the cold, for 2 1/2 hours to get tickets. (oh the lengths I go through to get a little culture in this town!) From the time I got there to the time the play was over, I was there for 6 hours! And thats when I began to really feel crummy.

But the play was really good!

Sunday morning arrived and I was so sore, so achy, so mucus filled and gross that I was not going to be able to make it into work. I called everyone and everyone was busy (but I can't blame them, it was short notice, and everyone hates working Sundays.) I was going to have to go in... But thankfully, one of my co-workers called me back! We agreed to switch shifts and I went back to bed and slept until almost 1 in the afternoon! I spent most of the day reading the Girl Who Played With Fire (highly recommend that series! Amazing!) and trying to eat since I had no appetite. But as the saying goes "sweat a fever, feed a cold".

Then, that afternoon, my parents invited us up for dinner. They had invited 2 other families in our neighborhood and we enjoyed enchilada casserole and chocolate fondue!



We had tons of fun, but I ate way too much and I was sick to my stomach the rest of the night. I guess that happens when your stomach is being squished and pushed by a little girl...



Bryant was having way too much fun teasing our neighbors kids. The youngest would just run up to him and start giggling like crazy! I was having a blast watching them. I can't WAIT until our baby is here to watch Bryant play with her!


This is the devastation of the fondue table after the kids attacked it. It was super yummy!

Today, I'm feeling slightly better. I actually just got a text from Bryant asking me to go out to lunch with him on his break and I think I'll be OK to go. Tonight, we start our prenatal class at the hospital, so I need to be feeling better by tonight for sure!

I'm pretty sure I was sick on Valentines day last year too because my cousins baby was born a few days later and I was just getting over it.

Stupid colds..

Happy Valentines day everyone! I'll write another post soon on how mine went!








No comments:

Post a Comment