Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Sacramento!

Part 2 of our California trip!

After we spent a few days with Grandma Donna in Mountain Ranch, we headed off to Sacramento to spend a few days with Bryant's brother Jacob, his wife Sally, and their 2 kids. Bryant's brother Tyler was also staying there for a few days until his apartment opened up. We decided to hit up Old Town Sacramento and Sutter's Fort with the kids.


Just a heads up about some of my photos: In July, I accidentally left my phone out in the sprinklers. The case protected it, but got warped a bit, especially around the hole the camera lens goes through. It's bent and so unless I make an effort to pull the phone out of the case a bit, some of the photos end up having a dark corner.




How's that for the most Cheesy McCheeserton face you've ever seen?













I really loved exploring Sutters Fort. Maybe it's the history lover in me (it is...) but I just love stuff like this! It didn't take as long as we thought it would. We paid for 3 hours at the meter and only spent a little over an hour. The kids were champs. Deagan was asleep for the first little while, then happily sat in the stroller and just enjoyed looking around. Savannah was patient and had fun running around. She did get a little grumpy towards the end, but that was resolved when we went to Old Town to get some lunch. And the amount of photos I took was borderline ridiculous.

When we got to Old Town, we saw a Jo's Crabshack and thought that sounded good for lunch. But as we were walking over there, we noticed the restraunt next to it called the Rio Cafe, and decided to try that instead. I'm glad we did! We asked to be seated outside and we were right on the Sacramento River (And by "on" I mean "on". The patio was supported by wooden beams that ran deep into the river!) The food was good and the kids enjoyed watching the boats go by and the birds flying around. Savannah kept trying to entice the pigeons to eat out of her hand, and she would have succeeded had I not stopped her... multiple times...


Eating his crayon. Yuck.


After lunch, we still had an hour and a half on out meter, so we decided to walk around Old Town. I was not as impressed by Old Town as I had hoped I would be. I had kind of imagined it as an old wild west, Jackson Hole kind of place, but it was just a bunch of kitschy shops, a handful of candy stores (we saw 3 in a 1 block radius I think!) and a whole bunch of tattoo shops (I think I counted 4 or 5 in that same block.) We didn't have time to do the train museum, but I think that may have been the best part of Old Town.




We did head into one of the candy stores, but It was insanely crowded and not stroller friendly, so Savannah and I hurried through there as fast as we could. We actually ended up with a really small bag of candy, mostly tootsie rolls, a rock candy sucker and a pez and it cost us 8 bucks! I could buy a big bag of Halloween candy for 8 bucks! Sheesh!





We found a Zoltar! I wished to be big. (Name that movie, hahah!) And sorry that the video isn't working very well. For some reason it's looking like a GIF. Anyone know how to fix that on blogger?

Overall, even though Old Town was slightly disappointing (It ain't no Tombstone, if ya know what I mean.) We still had a lot of fun being out together as a family.



No comments:

Post a Comment