Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Savannah's 10 cents

So most of you who read this blog are my friends on Facebook, so you have already lived out this drama with me. But for posterity's sake, and just because it's funny, I'll hash it out on here as well.

So a couple of weeks ago, we were hanging out at my parents house. Savannah always pulls out a large tin of buttons and my sister's penny bank and takes everything out, then puts it all back in. She loves it! Well, we were all talking, and she was playing with the money, when for some unknown reason, she tipped her head back, and dumped a handful of money on her face. Just then, she began coughing and screaming and yelling "It's in my tummy! Burp me! Burp it out!" We all panicked and tried to get her to open her mouth and see if she was choking but she just kept coughing, crying and gagging like she was going to throw up. 

She had swallowed a coin. 



After a minute, she calmed down and we gave her a drink to make sure nothing was stuck. Bryant thought she would be fine, but I was freaking out and insisted that we go to the ER immediately! So we left DJ with my parents and we had my sister Sage come along because Savannah was really scared about going to the doctor and we knew having her aunt there would help keep her calm.

We walked into a pretty empty ER (It was now 11 at night) and got Savannah all checked in. The nurses and staff we so unbelievably nice to Savannah! She calmed down and realized that nothing was going to hurt her and she was chatting up everyone who was working that night. The nurse told us she was one of the happiest and most well behaved kids who had ever come through the ER and told Savannah she wanted her to stay and just hang out all night with them.



They did and x-ray, and sure enough, there was a coin! The doctor came in and said he thought it was a quarter (it ended up actually just being a dime) and told us that there was nothing really to worry about since it was already in the stomach. He was really sweet with Savannah and as soon as he walked in, Savannah proudly said "Doctor, I have money in my tummy!" He let her use his stethoscope and wear his name badge and he patiently listened as Savannah chatted his ear off. I really love that hospital. I've delivered both babies there, and I had a 1 week stint with pneumonia there in 2006, and everyone there has always been amazing!

Anyways, they wanted us to do a followup x-ray in a couple of days, but Savannah passed the dime and I figured she was fine so we didn't take her in. 

The funniest part of this whole thing is the next morning, I got a text from my cousin saying her little boy had swallowed a dime that morning! Looks like we need to start a savings account for those two...

No comments:

Post a Comment