Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 3 of 30 Things

Day 3: Describe your relationship with your parents.

I think I have a really amazing relationship with my parents. It's by no means perfect, but I like it for that reason. I think our relationship has changed a lot over the years too. It's developed from just a "parent-child" relationship, to more of a "parent-young adult-friendship" relationship.

I'm the oldest child, so I think my relationship with my parents is very different than that of my siblings and my parents. I didn't have an older sibling to look up to or copy-cat growing up, so I did that with my parents. While other kids were listening to N'sync and Backstreet boys as kids because their big brothers and sisters were, I was listening to Jimmy Buffet, James Taylor and Bob Marley because my parents did. I became interested in what they were interested in. Books, radio programs, movies, etc.

I also like that I was always learning from them. When other kids would run home and show their parents their art project from school, which would go up on the fridge for a few weeks and then mysteriously end up in the trash, my dad would show me how I could improve on it, and let me continue working on it. 

Both my parents always encouraged me to do what I want with my life. I was free to make mistakes, as long as I understood the consequences of them, good or bad. 

Both of my parents worked while I was growing up, but they always made time for us when they could, whether it was weekend drives up to the cabin, or fun vacations and camping trips. My parents owning their own business allowed for them to attend all of my sporting/dance events, which was always important to me. 

My relationship with my parents has been wonderful. I really appreciate everything they do for me, and I hope to have as good as a relationship with my children.



No comments:

Post a Comment