Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

8 Months and a Mess Maker

My little Savannah Banana turned 8 months last Friday!

It feels like she is learning more and more, faster and faster every day. One day, she just decides that she wants to learn how to do something, so she does it! I've been better about sitting back and letting her figure things out for herself. Like when she really wanted to start crawling on the tile, and I was worried she would hurt herself, I figured that since 90% of our apartment is tile, she would have to do it someday, so I let her. Or like when she really wanted to pull herself up to stand, I let her try to do it herself rather than helping her, and hanging onto her. I think she becomes really proud of herself. She's one determined little thing, when she wants something, she'll get it.


She can crawl like a pro these days and gets into everything.  If I need to get something done, I have to put her in her bouncy chair or her play yard. Otherwise, she's getting into closets, pulling things off tables and shelves, emptying out the diapers, wipes, toy box. Basically anything that has stuff in it, she wants to pull out. And once it's out, she doesn't want to play with it. She just wants to make a mess. The other day, I watched her work for 5 minutes trying to pull a box with her headbands in it off her nightstand, and once she pulled it off, she tossed it aside and moved on to trying to get into her daddy's closet.



(A video of Savannah crawling around)

 (Pulling all the DVDs off Grandma and Grandpa's shelf)

She still loves strangers (I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet) and loves when people come up to her and smile and talk. She also loves going to other people during church, which gives me a break to enjoy learning, rather than chasing her around.

She's still a HUGE Elmo fan (can you guess what most of her Christmas presents will be?) and every morning after she eats breakfast, she immediately turns her attention to the TV, waiting for me to turn it on and watch her Elmo.


She's learned how to wave and clap her hands. She waves at everyone and everything. On thanksgiving, I took her out to the front yard of my grandparents house to watch the train down the block and she waved and clapped and screamed at it. It was the highlight of her day!

She loves other kids, especially babies her age. She's just not a fan of other kids taking toys away from her and she's become a biter. We went on a play date with a friend of mine from work and her daughter and Savannah was loving all of the new toys, until her friend placed her hand on the pig she was playing with and Savannah leaned down and bit her hand! Looks like we need to work on sharing and manners.



She's also starting to recognize certain words. She knows who Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Grandma, Sage, Sawyer, and Colter are and will look at them when you name them. She also knows what breakfast and dinner mean. Now we just need to learn what the word "No" means.

She can also mimic sounds really well. My favorite is when I say "Savannah, say Mama!" and she does! Most of the time it sounds like "momomomomom". (Although, the other day I put her in her car seat and she was throwing a fit about it and she looks me in the eye and screams "MAMA!" like she was mad at me.) We are working on "Dad" but it just sounds like "bab bab bab" right now.


Speaking of throwing fits, she's learned to throw them really well. She kicks and shakes her fists and screams at me if I take something away from her. She's also decided to hate getting dressed or get her diaper changed. It's a 10 minute battle of her squirming, rolling, kicking and yelling at me to put a pair of pants on this kid.

But for all her messes and fits, she's such a sweet baby girl who loves people, and is very curious about everything.
She's growing up way too fast!


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend! We did, except for Savannah throwing up all over me at the dinner table, and the car accident we got into. Look for our blog post on that coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment