Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

A compliment goes a long way

I love to give compliments.
Giving a compliment is a win-win situation.
You make someone feel good about themselves, and in turn, you feel good for making them feel good. 
Also, the good karma couldn't hurt.

Today was a doozie. One of those days.
Where you want to shout at the sky "Ok universe! What else do you feel like attacking me with? What could you possibly do more to make my life more miserable?"

I physically and mentally could not absorb any more stress. 
I had a scheduling problem at work that left my boss very unhappy with me, I was still having issues with school and classes (thank you UVU for having the worlds most ridiculous website, the most ridiculous academic advisers, and the most ridiculous math class policies.) Not to mention that class starts Monday. And I am having issues with getting my grant and a loan I applied for (Thank you DMV for not letting me change my name on my drivers license because my marriage certificate "didn't count" and now my name on my license and social security card don't match.) 

And to top it all off, I couldn't convince a single friend of mine to go to lunch, or go shopping, or just come visit for anything in the world. And of course there was always some reason; "sorry, I would  have loved to come hang out, but I didn't get your message because my phone was in the other room... for the last day and a half..."

I'm not gonna lie, I have had several meltdowns the last 48 hours.

I was at the end of my rope this afternoon. I was at the climax of my problems and I was re-evaluating what I wanted to do with my life, why I wasn't where I wanted to be, re-evaluating friendships and whether or not the stress from trying to keep those was worth it, whether school was worth it. Everything.
Then, I ran out of diapers. 
Of course I ran out of diapers.

So it was off to wal mart I went. The one store on this planet that stresses me out just thinking about having to go there. I looked at myself in my mirror before I grabbed my keys. I had makeup smeared on my bloodshot eyes. I looked tired. I looked stressed. I looked like I was 6 months pregnant, 5 months after I had a baby.

I smoothed a new coat of lipstick on, wiped the smudged eye liner off and did a once-over-finger-comb through my hair that I didn't bother to brush through when I got out of the shower today, all in attempt to look semi-decent.

I felt terrible.
I looked terrible.

And here I was, walking into my least favorite place on the planet (besides UVU) and a little girl, maybe 5 or 6 was walking with her mom leaving the store as I was walking in. She stopped and we made eye contact.
"You have really beautiful hair!"
She meant it.

I suddenly felt like crying, but this time out of happiness.
That one, little compliment made all of my problems suddenly disappear.
I really hope she continues being that kind to people throughout the rest of her life. It's such a good quality.




No comments:

Post a Comment