Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

To Savannah, A Letter

My sweetest Savannah,

     Today is your 2nd birthday! I just tucked you into bed, where right now, you are snuggled under your blanket, with your Mickey Mouse, and two baby dolls, watching Blues Clues, while drinking a bottle of milk. It was strange tucking you in tonight, because you requested all of those things with words. I still can't believe that you are talking so much! You are just growing up so fast! It's also strange because 20 years ago, your room was my room, where my mom and dad tucked me in every night. Now I have the opportunity to be a mommy! When I shut your door (not all the way because you get a little scared in the complete dark, so I leave it open a crack and keep the hallway bathroom light on for you) I came out into the kitchen and noticed what time it was. It is currently 9:00pm. In 20 minutes, it's officially the moment you were born 2 whole years ago! In 20 minutes will be the first time I looked into your beautiful dark eyes, and you stuck your hand in your mouth and looked right back up me. You were so calm, you didn't even cry for a few minutes! You just coughed a bit, and looked at me. I felt like we were reuniting, rather than meeting for the first time, as if I already knew everything about you.

     I remember that first night, I asked the nurses to keep you in the nursery for the night, thinking that it would be easier for me to sleep after an exhausting day. But I stayed up almost the whole night because I missed you so much. I laid awake waiting for when the nurses would bring you in to eat, and being so excited every time I got to hold you. The next night, I kept you right next to me.

     I remember that first night we brought you home. We placed you in your cradle, and realized that it was broken and sagged to the side. I asked your daddy to set up the portable bassinet instead. By the time we got it figured out, I decided that I wanted you next to me instead. I didn't like that you were all alone in there. So I scooped you up and snuggled you between myself and your dad. You ended up sleeping next to us every night for 6 months! I had a hard time putting you in your own room. I still do! Every night, I still go check on you a few times before I crawl into my own bed. Now, I treasure those very rare times that you fall asleep next to me.

     You have grown so much in these last 2 years. You have really developed the funniest little personality. You just love to be around people. You are fearless, and I love that about you (but sometimes it really worries me!). You are compassionate, you worry about the happiness of others. I hope you keep this quality your whole life, and I have a pretty good feeling you will. You like to tease and play. You will do anything to get a laugh out of people. You are so full of energy. You just radiate this feeling of fun! You melt hearts with your smile and your laugh. We will have to keep an eye on you in the future, because you will be driving the boys crazy with that smile and your rosy cheeks someday!

     You have brought so much happiness and love into your dad and I's life. I can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I didn't have you here. You are definitely a daddy's girl, and you two make me so happy just watching you play together. As soon as he comes home from work, you always run straight into his arms with kisses waiting. That's one of my favorite moments of the day, seeing you get so excited about having your dad home.

     You have so many people in this world who love you, and I hope you never ever forget that! You have a large group of family and friends who would do anything for you. You bring sunshine into all our lives. You have a baby brother who will be here in 2 months. I know that you will be the very best big sister in the world! And trust me, I know how hard it is to be the big sister, but I know you will love him and help him and be his friend throughout life, because you were born with all of that inside of you.

     My sweet, wild, loving Savannah, I love you more than anything, and I am very proud to get to be your mommy. Happy birthday beautiful girl!

                           Love, Mom.

The day you were born

1 Year Old

2 Years old!


                    


No comments:

Post a Comment