Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

A New Adventure

I'm quitting my job.

Every time I think or say that sentence, it feels foreign to me.

"I'm quitting my job".

But I tell you what, it feels awesome (and a little scary) to say.

The decision to do so has been lurking around the back of my mind since Savy was born. Bryant and I had discussed me just staying home, and even though I loved the idea, I just didn't feel good about it at the time. It just didn't feel right.

I've been working at the bookstore for the last 4 years and I love it. I actually had another job offer from a place that paid a little more, and I turned it down when I got offered this one, because I knew I would like it more. I've worked there through getting married, school, and having a baby. I've made a lot of good friends. I've met some interesting customers (some a little too interesting, if you catch my drift...) and I've come away with a lot of good stories.

But I'm still quitting my job.

If you haven't heard, Bryant recently got a job promotion. A big one that he has been working hard to get for about 6 months now. He loves it. He works hard, and he is doing an amazing job! And to be honest, the money is nice too.

A few weeks ago, I started the process of registering for classes for the fall semester. I started to get stressed about trying to do school AND work AND be a mom. I started to get depressed with the thought of rarely seeing Savannah, of rarely spending time with Bryant. Of never being home with both of them at the same time.

Then a light turned on in the back of my mind.

"You could quit your job..." a little voice said.

I began to weigh the pros and cons. The Pros FAR outweighed the cons. We are finally in a position where I don't have to work. My paychecks were really only covering the cost of my car payment each month anyway, and I just made the last payment a couple of weeks ago (yay!).

And how nice would it be just to concentrate on school?

So nice.
So, so very nice.

I got a really good feeling about it. It felt right this time. 
I needed to cut something out of my life. School has always been important to me, and even though I love my job, I want to be a college graduate more.

Last year was so hard trying to balance everything. I did terribly in school and I missed being home so much. 

It's funny because growing up, I never wanted to be a stay at home mom. In my mind, that was an infringement on my independence. But since having become a mother, it is my ultimate goal. I realize now how badly I want to be a nurturer and a teacher to my children. I am their ultimate support.  I want to be there to get them up in the morning, to feed them all their meals and play with them all day. Be there when they need a hug and cuddle them during nap time. And read them books and sing to them at bedtime. All of it. 

It's going to be an adjustment. It's going to be so much easier to concentrate on school, on being a mom, on being a wife, on myself.

So, I'm quitting my job.

And I am so excited!





No comments:

Post a Comment